cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pushing data to my app

Pushing data to my app

DylanC
Explorer | Level 3

I am trying to have a python script check a Dropbox file on my app. If the file was last edited after the locally saved date, it downloads the contents of the file. If the user chooses to push data to dropbox, it overwrites the file on the server. Since there are multiple users, and I want to keep track of who does what, I have it setup so that the user can follow the authentication flow and it saves the newly created token; if needed. When the admin user does this process it works fine, however if a different user tries, a new file is created (seemingly only visible to that user) and the process doesn't work as there are two different files.

What would I need to do to fix this or is there a better solution that isn't Dropbox?

2 Replies 2

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @DylanC,

Sounds like you're using group/business account and when upload a file you are pointing the place without explicitly set path root. Am I right? Take in mind that by default path root is the member folder (both for admin and regular user), not the account root (as seems, you are thinking 😉). That's where your issue comes from - every member has their own folder and in spite the same pointed path in /2/files/upload call (for instance), it's different place in the account (again - the place is relative to member's folder). You need to explicitly point the path root as account root (or other namespace) so the pointed file be the same all the time, doesn't matter who processes it. Take a look on DBX Team Files Guide for more information.

Hope this helps.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@DylanC As Здравко said, take note of what root you're using and make sure you're working in the same location for each user.

Also, note that apps with the "app folder" access type get an app folder in each user's connected account, and these app folders do not sync with each other. If you have multiple connected users and need their content to sync to each other, you'd need to use "full Dropbox" access instead, to access a shared folder or team folder.

And in addition to the Team Files Guide that Здравко linked to, the File Access Guide and Detecting Changes Guide may be helpful.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?