cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Error in call to API function "files/upload": HTTP header "Dropbox-API-Arg":

Re: Error in call to API function "files/upload": HTTP header "Dropbox-API-Arg":

ingconti
Helpful | Level 5

good you are available

Said so, pls let me know How to fix it.

to recap:

a) my ap is written in swift, NO other components (neither official dropbox library, too big and too messy)

b) it did work since 2 month ago. now I got error

c) if I cannot see WHAT has been broken, pls sent me HINTS about, OR let mr speak with some tech guy of upper level, to get some helpful tips.

14 Replies 14

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

I'll be happy to help with any issues you're having with the Dropbox API, but I'll need some more information. Please reply with:

• the steps to reproduce the issue, including relevant code snippet(s), but don't include any access or refresh token(s)
  • the full text of any error or unexpected output

ingconti
Helpful | Level 5

this is my Swift code:

case .Upload:

var optionsStr = "{\"path\": \"PATH_PLACEHOLDER\",\"mode\": \"add\",\"autorename\": AUTORENAME_PLACEHOLDER, \"mute\": false,\"strict_conflict\": false}"

optionsStr = optionsStr.replacingOccurrences(of: "PATH_PLACEHOLDER", with: remotePath!)

let autoRename = autoRenameOnServer ? "true" : "false"

optionsStr = optionsStr.replacingOccurrences(of: "AUTORENAME_PLACEHOLDER", with: autoRename)

#if DEBUG

print("header:   ", optionsStr, "\n")

#endif

request.setValue(optionsStr,                 forHTTPHeaderField: "Dropbox-API-Arg")

request.setValue("application/octet-stream", forHTTPHeaderField: "Content-Type")

And I send it AS other cases (for example LIST)

the above code is for uploading.

As said, it worked a couple of weeks ago and for more than 2 years.

SO the unique reason is Siem Apis is changed OR other inner things, but NO decent details.,

ingconti
Helpful | Level 5

to be cleat: after this code we issued the USUAL, beloved, apple-endorsed code:

let session = URLSession.shared

let task = session.dataTask(with: request as URLRequest, completionHandler: {data, response, error -> Void in

ingconti
Helpful | Level 5

would be useful alo if Your programmers can send back some simular code (shell scripts..) I can run via MAC/Unix/Linux bash to get the same result uploading a file.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

For reference, the documentation for /2/files/upload includes a basic example of how you might call curl in a shell to perform an upload. The API Explorer can also be useful for prototyping and testing calls. (Click "Show Code" to see an example of what the code would look like.)

Anyway, the /2/files/upload endpoint is a "Content-upload" style endpoint, so it takes the parameters as JSON in the "Dropbox-API-Arg" header. In your code I see you're building that JSON by replacing portions of a pre-existing string. I recommend using actual JSON writing functionality (for instance, provided by your platform or a library) to build that instead, as that should be less error prone.

For instance, it's possible I see you're inputting the remotePath value, and it's possible that value has changed to something that is causing your code to produce invalid JSON, such as to include some character that needs to be escaped.

When putting these values in the header, make sure you're encoding them properly. We have a documentation page here that explains what needs to be escaped, including an example written on Swift at the bottom. Check that out and make sure you're building and encoding your JSON string properly as shown there.

ingconti
Helpful | Level 5

sorry, BUT I DID read all docs, so ls don't say to read docs. Pls respond Wirth TECH answers.

From Your answer I clearly understand you dint know swift, you assumption about string function re COMPLETELY wrong.

in detail I am USING "using actual JSON writing functionality (for instance, provided by your platform or a library)": as every serious programmers knows 

JSON is bases ion strings.

"For instance, it's possible I see you're inputting the remotePath value, and it's possible that value has changed to something that is causing your code to produce invalid JSON, such as to include some character that needs to be escaped." is completely technically wrong.

"remotePath" is a let (const in C/C++) so NOT possibile.

About ecaping as said above I did escaped reading your docs. I did validate it and it si correct:

{"path": "/OUT/aaaaa_000.jpg","mode": "add","autorename": true, "mute": false,"strict_conflict": false}

I will giver a try to escaping, BUT as said, it worked for months in production.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

I was referring to using something like JSONSerialization.data to build the JSON string from a dictionary for you, like in our example.

Regarding the remotePath value, while that may be a constant in your code (though you did not share where that is defined), is it possible you've changed what you assign to it in your code at some point?

I see in your latest comment that you included an example of the JSON string you're building, showing the path as "/OUT/aaaaa_000.jpg". Looking at that carefully, I see that the "_" character is not actually an ASCII underscore, but rather a Unicode character named "Fullwidth Low Line" (U+FF3F). That being the case, you will need to apply the encoding as documented, otherwise you'll run in to an error.

I just tried this myself and confirmed that running your code as shown with that character does cause a failure, but using the documented code to serialize and encode the parameters does work.

ingconti
Helpful | Level 5

1) You wrote: "I was referring to using something like JSONSerialization.data to build the JSON string from a dictionary for you, like in our example.'

I Did write and teste din other environments and it worked, I have extensive Unit testing about.

2) d "Fullwidth Low Line" (U+FF3F).

3 consideration:

2a) it WORKED for an year, so what changed?

2b) THIS should be the  1st response 

3b) why giving back such message should be a problem for backend?

I wil try Your encoding function, I will re-post. 

ingconti
Helpful | Level 5

I got from your example :

{"field":"some_\u00fc\u00f1\u00eec\u00f8d\u00e9_and_\u007f"}

if is correct, pls fix code that does NOT compile in swift any more, as  JSONSerialization.data can throw:

let args = ["field": "some_üñîcødé_and_\u{7F}"]

if let jsonData = try? JSONSerialization.data(withJSONObject: args){

let encodedArgs = asciiEscape(utf8Decode(jsonData))

print(encodedArgs)

}

Need more support?