cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rename File/Folder Without losing Version History in V2

Rename File/Folder Without losing Version History in V2

Shilpa M.
New member | Level 1

Dear Drop Box Team,

Kindly Suggest the way ,how we can Rename a File/Folder without losing the Version History in Drop Box API V2.

5 Replies 5

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

File history on Dropbox is tied to the file path, so file version history won't follow files across moves/renames like this. The version history at the original path isn't lost though, so you can continue to query on the original path to get the old history. You can use the file's ID to track it across moves/renames though.

Avnish K.
New member | Level 1

I have  tried same, but I lost version list in my Dropbox account. Now i am not able to seen version history for moved files in Dropbox account. how I can version history in my account.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Hi Avnish, I'm not sure I understand your question. This thread was about file history when using the Dropbox API. Are you also working on an integration with the Dropbox API? If so, please share some more information, e.g., steps to reproduce the issue, sample code, etc.

If you're not a developer using the Dropbox API, your question would likely be better suited in the Issues & Troubleshooting or Product Feedback forum.

Avnish K.
New member | Level 1

Hi,

I am integrating API V2 in my application. I want to know, if any user rename any file using my application, user go to his Dropbox account and wants to check any older version for that file then how he will find the version history for that file.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

They can use the button to "Show deleted files" on the Dropbox web site, which will show the file at the old path. They can then get the file history from there.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Avnish K. New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?