cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secure file downloads without a dropbox account

Secure file downloads without a dropbox account

Chase Denecke
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I'm currently building an app for users to get access to confidential data.

I like users authorized through our portal to be able to download files from our business dropbox account without the need to create a dropbox account.

Ideally they'd be granted some token through the portal that allows them to access a particular set of files or a particular folder, and when they click a button in our portal the files would be downloaded to their browser.

Is this possible? All the guides I've read imply the only way to do this is if the user has a dropbox account. Is it possible to do this without one?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

The Dropbox API is generally meant for users to connect to their own accounts, but Dropbox itself does offer sharing functionality that can be used to share content to users who don't have their own Dropbox accounts. In particular, shared links can be useful for that. You can also modify these links for different behaviors, such as direct downloads.

You can use the Dropbox API to create and list shared links programmatically, via /2/sharing/create_shared_link_with_settings and /2/sharing/list_shared_links, respectively. As long as you don't leak your access token to other users, i.e., make sure you only keep the access token server-side, you could use make those calls to get shared links as needed and pass those shared links to your end-users. (For reference, the /2/files/get_temporary_link functionality is similar and doesn't rely on actual shared links; it just makes a temporary link that's only valid for four hours. It only works for individual files though, not folders.)

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

The Dropbox API is generally meant for users to connect to their own accounts, but Dropbox itself does offer sharing functionality that can be used to share content to users who don't have their own Dropbox accounts. In particular, shared links can be useful for that. You can also modify these links for different behaviors, such as direct downloads.

You can use the Dropbox API to create and list shared links programmatically, via /2/sharing/create_shared_link_with_settings and /2/sharing/list_shared_links, respectively. As long as you don't leak your access token to other users, i.e., make sure you only keep the access token server-side, you could use make those calls to get shared links as needed and pass those shared links to your end-users. (For reference, the /2/files/get_temporary_link functionality is similar and doesn't rely on actual shared links; it just makes a temporary link that's only valid for four hours. It only works for individual files though, not folders.)

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?