cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thumbnails for >20MB photos

Thumbnails for >20MB photos

Matt R.7
New member | Level 1

Hi Dropbox,

The V2 docs clearly state that "Photos that are larger than 20MB in size won't be converted to a thumbnail". However in practice we seem to be getting valid thumbnails for files that are larger than 20MB. In addition, this seems like somewhat of an unusual size limit since frequently DSLRs will produce >20MB files for every photo.

Can you possibly clarify:

1. Are there plans to increase this 20MB thumbnail limit in the future?

2. Is the thumbnail endpoint working for >20MB files currently only as a side effect of v1 support still being available?

Thank you!

6 Replies 6

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

1. I can't make any promises, but I'm sending this along as a feature for official/documented support for thumbnails for images larger than 20 MB like this.

2. This isn't related to API v1 exactly. (API v1 also only officially supports thumbnails for images less than 20 MB.) We have been working on improving our thumbnailing infrastructure itself though.

Matt R.7
New member | Level 1

Thanks Gregory!

JoshS
New member | Level 2

Any updates to share on this?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Sorry, no news for this.

Robert Corrigan
Explorer | Level 3

It's been a minute since this question was asked, but is there any update to the supported file size limit for generating thumbnails? I've been able to process files in the 40MB range no problem.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@Robert Corrigan Thanks for the note. I don't have an official update on this, but I'm adding this to the feature request. Right now, the official limit is 20 MB, but as you found larger files may also work. I can't recommend strictly relying on that though as it's not officially supported. I'll follow up here if/when I have any news on that.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Robert Corrigan Explorer | Level 3
    JoshS New member | Level 2
    Matt R.7 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?