cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Trouble with link and setting expiry date

Trouble with link and setting expiry date

Paul M.131
Explorer | Level 4

I am creating a .NET app and all is working well so far with v2.1.  I can share a link, but if try to add an expiry date for the link it fails at the "CreateSharedLinkWithSettingsAsync" method, with a "settings_error/not_authorized/.." error!

I have read the .NET documentation, and searched the forums, but cannot get this working.

This is my code:

Dropbox.Api.Sharing.CreateSharedLinkWithSettingsArg shArgs = null;

//set the expiry date

Dropbox.Api.Sharing.SharedLinkSettings shSett = new Dropbox.Api.Sharing.SharedLinkSettings(null, null, DateTime.Today.AddDays(1));

var file = (FileMetadata)listView1.SelectedItems[0].Tag;

//The code work if I replace the 'shSett' variable with 'null' in this line of code

shArgs = new Dropbox.Api.Sharing.CreateSharedLinkWithSettingsArg(file.PathDisplay, shSett);

//this is the line where the error occurs

var result = await client.Sharing.CreateSharedLinkWithSettingsAsync(shArgs);

Any help appreciated.  Hopefully I have provided enough information.

Paul

4 Replies 4

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Hi Paul, you can find more information on this error in the documentation here:

https://dropbox.github.io/dropbox-sdk-dotnet/html/T_Dropbox_Api_Sharing_SharedLinkSettingsError_NotA...

In this case, it looks like the issue is that you're trying to set an expiration on a link using an account that doesn't have access to that feature.

Paul M.131
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Gregory,

Many thanks for your response and advice, and you were indeed correct, so I have now upgraded from the free account to Pro.

However, I now have a new problem, which is "Error in call to API function \"sharing/create_shared_link_with_settings\": request body: settings.expires: time data '2016-04-24T00:00:00' does not match format '%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%SZ'"}.

As far as I can see, the problem is arising in the Dropbox.Api.SharedLinkSettingsEncoder class, which has a DateTime value passed in, and where the "expires" value is:

{{"path":"/Chrysanthemum.jpg","settings":{"expires":"2016-04-24T00:00:00"}

Using the API Explorer and reading the error message, it appears that there should be a "Z" appended to the time in the settings, but I'm not sure how to achieve this.

Not sure if it has anything to do with being a UK time format.

Paul

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

I believe that should be fixed in version 3.0.6. Please update to that and let me know if it doesn't help.

Paul M.131
Explorer | Level 4

Fantastic Gregory.  I have updated the Dropbox.Api and it now works perfectly.

Many thanks for your quick response and helpful advice.

Paul

Need more support?