cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
Announcements
Whatā€™s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Unable to get events for shared files

Unable to get events for shared files

apo1397
Explorer | Level 4

I have an application which uses the API files/list_folder/longpoll to fetch any changes to the account and then I use files/list_folder/continue with the cursor (

DbxClientV2.files().listFolderContinue(cursor); is the method in the Java SDK

)

to get the files which were changed. This works perfectly for the files owned the user.

In case of a file being shared to an account this API returns changes:true but listFolderContinue returns an empty array.
I even tried using the APIs in sharing (sharing/list_folder etc) with the cursor I have but it throws an exception for "Inavlid Cursor"

According to the documentation for detecting changes,

methodologies described above will allow you detect changes to files themselves, but will not indicate changes to sharing settings or other metadata.

So is there a way to get the cursor for "shared files" ?
I also looked into the Business APIs but found that the Java SDK doesnt have APIs for that, is there another sdk that I should use ?

According to this article by Dropbox https://dropbox.tech/developers/manage-team-sharing-in-your-dropbox-app
It says to 
1. Create a new app from your App console
2. Select ā€˜Dropbox Business APIā€™
3. Select ā€˜Team member managementā€™
4. Name your app and click ā€˜Create appā€™

But there's no option to select 'Dropbox Business API' (please refer screenshot)
Screenshot 2020-11-26 at 6.47.09 PM.png

3 Replies 3

Š—Š“рŠ°Š²ŠŗŠ¾
Legendary | Level 20

@apo1397 wrote:

But there's no option to select 'Dropbox Business API' ...

Hi @apo1397,

That's really annoying! Seems application type gets limited in creation time, not clearly defined why. A workaround would be force 'unhiding' of target option (Team member management). Take a look on the screenshot:

ŠøŠ·Š¾Š±Ń€Š°Š¶ŠµŠ½ŠøŠµ.png

apo1397
Explorer | Level 4
Haha, good catch ! That's a risky workaround cuz there must be a reason it's hidden !

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

So is there a way to get the cursor for "shared files" ?

No, unfortunately there isn't a way to get a cursor/longpoll for shared files from another account like that exactly, but I'll pass this along as a feature request. I can't promise if or when that might be implemented though. It's only possible to monitor changes actually in the connected account.

According to this article by Dropbox https://dropbox.tech/developers/manage-team-sharing-in-your-dropbox-app
It says to
1. Create a new app from your App console
2. Select ā€˜Dropbox Business APIā€™
3. Select ā€˜Team member managementā€™

That post is old and out of date now. You no longer need to register a Dropbox Business API app with a specific Business permission, such as "Team member management" or "Team member file access" like that. You should instead just register a "scoped" app with the "Full Dropbox" access type, which can be used to access both user and team (Business) functionality, by enabling whichever scopes you need. 

For example, to connect to a team and use the "Member file access" feature to access the files of any member of the team, you would enable the "team_data.member" scope.

A workaround would be force 'unhiding' of target option (Team member management).

Do not modify the Dropbox web site. Any result of doing so would not be officially supported. Please use the "scoped" app functionality as described above to enable access to whatever features you need.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    apo1397 Explorer | Level 4
    Š—Š“рŠ°Š²ŠŗŠ¾ Legendary | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?