cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webhook not working after disabled

Webhook not working after disabled

juandom_gett
Explorer | Level 4

Hi everyone, hope you're doing well.

I'm having issues with webhooks. I configured a webhook url which points to my nodejs app deployed on render, and initially everything was working fine. But as I haven't figured out how to add the signature check using node, after some requests my webhook got disabled because it threw too many 500 error codes.

I wanted to keep trying until I found the solution for the signature check, but after re-enabling the url and checking the logs, all I see is the challenge received when the url is being veryfied. The logs for the POST request are no longer being displayed, so I guess the webhook is not working anymore.

Any clues on how to resolve this? Let me know if you need to see the source code.

Thanks in advance

3 Replies 3

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

There are a few reasons you may not be seeing webhook notifications:

1) Have you "linked" or "connected" or "authorized" the app to your account, before making the file changes, and is the account still connected? Webhook notifications will only be sent for changes in accounts that are connected to the app. When you create a Dropbox API app as a developer, it is not automatically connected to your account as if you were an end-user of the app. You will need to connect to it, as covered in the OAuth guide.
2) Are you making changes in the same account that you've linked to the app? Similar to the above, make sure you're making changes in the correct account.
3) If your app is registered for the "app folder" access type, are you making changes in the special app folder created for the app? Webhook notifications will only be sent for changes that the app can access, so Dropbox won't send webhook notifications to an app folder app for changes outside its app folder.
4) Was your app configured with the "files.metadata.read" scope before you connected it to your account? For scoped apps, webhooks will only be sent for apps authorized with that scope. If you only added that scope after connecting the app to your account, you'll need to re-authorize the app to access your account with that scope enabled.
5) Are you sure you've properly configured your server to handle webhook notifications at your specified URL? It may be helpful to add some logging along that code path to see where it may be breaking down.

If you're still not seeing expected webhook notifications, we'll be happy to look into this more specifically, but we'd need some more information. In that case, please open an API ticket and share:

• the app key (but not secret or access/refresh token) of the relevant API app registration
  • the relevant webhook URI
  • the account ID of the relevant connected account
  • a sample timestamp of a file event in that account for which you did not receive a webhook notification

juandom_gett
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Greg,

1) Yes, I have authorized the app before configuring the webhook.

2) Yes, I am doing changes using only one account, the same I authorized.

3) Yes, I'm uploading to the scoped folder, named like the app.

4) Yes, the app already had that permission before, since I was testing another features.

5) Yes, previously it was working, and I added more logs to check the incoming requests.

Another point that I found is that when I committed the local changes to github my app key, app secret and access token have been pushed, cause they were hardcoded. And I received the email notification about that. Maybe it's something related to that? I already deleted the inline credentials but it's still the same

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

It sounds like you're referring to the the GitHub secret scanning functionality, which can revoke Dropbox API access tokens found publicly posted on GitHub, so you would need to re-authorize the app to get a new access token (and optionally refresh token).

If you're still missing webhook notifications though, I suggest opening a ticket as described in my last message so we can look into it for you.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    juandom_gett Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?