cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

api_core.cpp HTTP error 404 for mov thumbnail?

api_core.cpp HTTP error 404 for mov thumbnail?

Stuart T.
New member | Level 1

I'm using the Sync API and most of my image thumbnails download successfully but as I'm scrolling through my scrollview and new images begin to load I'll get this repeating and it seems to line up with when I try to download the thumbnail of a .mov

[WARNING] status: NOT_FOUND: api_core.cpp:227: HTTP error 404 [142018d3e799e2eb]
[ERROR] dload: download.cpp:154: DL FAILED: HTTP error 404 [142018d3e799e2eb]
[WARNING] status: NOT_FOUND: api_core.cpp:227: HTTP error 404 [cff7faae807b72ee]

I am checking to make sure a thumb exists before I try to download:

DBFile* file;
    id key = path;
    if (info.thumbExists) {
        file = [self.filesystem openThumbnail:filesystemPath
                                           ofSize:thumbSize // 640x480 (next size down looks bad on retina iPad)
                                         inFormat:DBThumbFormatJPG
                                            error:&fileError];
   }
3 Replies 3

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Sometimes, the retrieval or generation itself of a thumbnail can fail, even if the API expects a thumbnail to be available (i.e., thumbExists).

Is this happening with all .mov files you have, or only some? If it's only some, do you notice any pattern to the files, e.g., did they all come from the same camera, etc.?

Did thumbnails for these files previously work?

Stuart T.
New member | Level 1

These are files that I just moved into another folder on dropbox. They are originally made on an iPhone device as they were in my iPhone camera uploads directory. I'm not sure if it's all of them or one particular .mov at this time. This was the first time I've had these files so I've never seen if they previously worked. But I moved my entire directory of camera uploads into the root directory and all the new thumbnails for the .jpg's worked

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the additional information! I'm looking into this, but it would help me track down why the thumbnail generation for these files is failing if I had a sample I could try. Can you share one or two of these .mov files for which the API isn't giving you thumbnail? You can share them privately by opening a ticket here if you'd prefer. Thanks in advance!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Stuart T. New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?