cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
Announcements
Whatā€™s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

iOS 9.3 Objective Dropbox Official not redirecting to login

iOS 9.3 Objective Dropbox Official not redirecting to login

CarolinaK
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

In my app, I am testing a migration to v2 and the authorization works very well on the simulator. But once I run the app on my ipod (iOS 9.3), I notice that the only console message I get is 

2017-08-18 16:57:49.804 stubhub[13374:2890161] DBSDKReachability Flag Status: -R ------- networkStatusForFlags
2017-08-18 16:57:49.805 stubhub[13374:2890161] -canOpenURL: failed for URL: "dbapi-2://1/connect" - error: "(null)"
2017-08-18 16:57:49.806 stubhub[13374:2890161] -canOpenURL: failed for URL: "dbapi-8-emm://1/connect" - error: "(null)"

and the app just closes the redirect to login after a second, instead of loading the dropbox login screen. Any ideas on how I can solve this? I'm not really sure what's wrong in the device. It works fine on the simulator. 

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks, it sounds like it is probably specific to that device then. Do you have any restrictions/parental controls enabled on that device currently by any chance?

View solution in original post

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
For reference, I've determined that it's the "Websites" > "Specific Websites Only" (without Dropbox allowed) that causes this. I'll ask the team to look into making this fail with some feedback.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for the report! Those three lines should be safe to ignore. The first one is just checking the network availability, and the other two are checking for the official Dropbox app, but the "null" error means nothing is wrong.

Can you elaborate a bit on what happens though? Is the openURL block getting called at all?

Also, please try the DBRoulette sample app and let us know if it reproduces the same issue on that device:

https://github.com/dropbox/dropbox-sdk-obj-c/tree/master/Examples/DBRoulette

Finally, have you tried on another device to see if it's specific to that device? Thanks in advance!

CarolinaK
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Hi Greg!

Update: I was able to login successfully on another device with iOS 10.3. What's happening is that once the app opens the url to go to the login page for dropbox (I don't have the app installed, so safari opens up by default) it just stops loading the login page and returns to my app as if I hit the back button or cancelled the request.

As I was debugging, I noticed open URL is not getting called. It is getting called in the simulator for 10.3 and 9.3 so I'm not really sure what could be happening other than issues with the device itself.

Thanks for the quick response!

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks! I haven't heard of this behavior happening before so we'll have to look into it.

Just to confirm though, can you try the sample app on that device? It would be good to know if there's something just specific to that device, or if it's something about that combination of iOS version and your code.

Also what version number of the SDK are you using?

CarolinaK
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'm using v2 SDK. I cloned the master branch on github.

Also tried to run DBRoulette with cocoapods on the troublesome device (ipod iOS model A1421 version 9.3) and it had the same issue when trying to link my dropbox account.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks, it sounds like it is probably specific to that device then. Do you have any restrictions/parental controls enabled on that device currently by any chance?

CarolinaK
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

The parental controls were on! 

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Great, I'm glad to hear that's solved.

Can you let us know what setting specifically was doing it? We can look into it to see if we can detect this scenario and expose an error message in the future.

CarolinaK
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Unfortunately I don't have the specific restriction that was causing it, I know that once I disabled parental controls on Settings/General/Restrictions the app was able to load the external login page.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
For reference, I've determined that it's the "Websites" > "Specific Websites Only" (without Dropbox allowed) that causes this. I'll ask the team to look into making this fail with some feedback.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    CarolinaK Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?