cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: generate code by using curl dropbox api

retrieve access code automatically - javascript

env
Explorer | Level 3

Hey!
I'm trying to connect to Dropbox using Oauth and I cant figure out a way to retrieve the access code automatically.
I want that after I press connect in my site and the user press continue and then allow to retrieve the access code with no more user interaction' later I will use this access code to obtain access token.
can you please provide an example how to do that? there is an API call of dropbpx-sdk for that?
Thank you very much in advance!

9 Replies 9

env
Explorer | Level 3

Hey!
I'm trying to connect to Dropbox using Oauth and I cant figure out a way to retrieve the access code automatically.
I want that after I press connect in my site and the user press continue and then allow to retrieve the access code with no more user interaction' later I will use this access code to obtain access token.
can you please provide an example how to do that? there is an API call of dropbpx-sdk for that?
Thank you very much in advance!

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@env wrote:

Hi @env,

You didn't mention what SDK you are using. If you use Python, then an example can be seen here. If you use some other SDK you can adapt the same idea. 😉

Good luck.

env
Explorer | Level 3

Sorry you right, I'm using javascript..

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

It depends where are you using javascript. If you use browser session, better rely on Dropbox user session. In such a way you don't need any code or refresh token management. If you use javascript for standalone client side application or server application (node for instance), use something like my previous example. Both SDKs are very similar or similar enough at least.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@env I see you posted the same question in two threads, so I've combined them here in one.

Dropbox is switching to only issuing short-lived access tokens (and optional refresh tokens) instead of long-lived access tokens. You can find more information on this migration here.

Apps can still get long-term access by requesting "offline" access though, in which case the app receives a "refresh token" that can be used to retrieve new short-lived access tokens as needed, without further manual user intervention. You can find more information in the OAuth Guide and authorization documentation.

For examples of implementing this with the Dropbox JavaScript SDK, please refer to the examples included in the "examples" folder in the SDK. As long as you set the app key (a.k.a. client ID) and refresh token, like shown in this example for the JavaScript SDK, the SDK will actually handle refresh process for you automatically. The SDK will automatically catch expired access token errors and call the API to get a new short-lived access token when needed.

env
Explorer | Level 3

First of all Thank you very much for your respond!

env_0-1675860306707.png

I cloned the javascript example from the link you brought.
I get this error, which means it does not work on a Dropbox Business team - the app I have.
should it work on Dropbox Business team app or just on a single Dropbox account? if so, can you provide an example for Dropbox Business team app?

env
Explorer | Level 3

Finally I would like to connect our product to the Dropbox Business app, And our clients will only need to put their user name and password for the Dropbox website, can I make it fully automated? it can be either in Java/Javascript. can you provide examples in both languages (Java - the flow start from getting the access code all the way to refresh the token once it is in our system, Javasript - start from getting the access code all the way to the callback function).
Thank you in advance!

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@env, As noted in the error message, you got, you need to specify which team member should be impersonated. While a personal account can represent single user only, team account represents least 3 members/users! That's why for team account you need to specify concrete member. During OAuth2 flow you get such ID. Keep that ID and take a look here how you can use it. You may need to specify default namespace too! By default (if nothing else specified) member home folder (not account root) is assumed as a root.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@env As Здравко noted, this error message is referring to specifying what account on the Business team to operate on behalf of. For reference, when using any "team scopes", the resulting access token is connected to an entire Dropbox Business team, not an individual account. So, when using a team-scoped access token to access user-specific endpoints, such as /2/users/get_current_account, you will need to specify which member of the team you want to operate on behalf of.

To do this, you'd need to specify the 'Dropbox-API-Select-User' header (or 'Dropbox-API-Select-Admin' as needed/desired). The value should be the team_member_id for whichever member you wish to act on behalf of. (For example, you can find team member IDs by calling /2/team/members/get_info_v2 or /2/team/members/list_v2[/continue], or corresponding native method in an SDK.)

(Alternatively, if you just want to connect to a particular account, you can disable any team scopes and get a new access token/refresh token without them. The access token without the team scopes will be specific to the particular account, Business or not, and so will not require the additional header. You can find more information on scopes in the OAuth Guide.)

Dropbox does also offer an official Java SDK. You can find the documentation and examples here. Both of these SDKs support offline access with refresh tokens for unattended long-term access.

To set the the 'Dropbox-API-Select-User' header in the JavaScript SDK, you would use the 'selectUser' option on the Dropbox object. To se it with the Java SDK, you would use DbxTeamClientV2.asMember.

Need more support?