cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Dropbox Dash Beta

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox Dash is useless so far, but I can't tell Dropbox that. Maybe you can!

Feedback in regards to Dropbox Dash.

WhoISTROiSi
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I just logged back into Dropbox after oh so long, since I was pestered to try the Beta for "Dropbox Dash".

Long story short, if you get an email to join, or join the waitlist, don't bother. It's useless. Nothing that other search engines in different areas can't do better, and very limited functionality.

Also,  I love how you have to pay this company money to be able to communicate with them. I wanted to share some feedback about their "Dash" product and maybe some UX improvements, etc. But there's no way to even establish a dialogue.

So it's this "Community Forum" for now. Stay tuned, as I will (and I encourage you all to also) post all things about the new service. Good and Bad. Bugs, UX dark patterns, UI ugliness, you know, all good things.

That's all for now.

Ciao

WIT

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

DBXjames
Dropbox Staff

Hi @WhoISTROiSi,

Thanks for your feedback! We've passed it along to the relevant teams. Additionally, we just wanted to let you know that you can reach the Dash support team by visiting dropbox.com/support/email and selecting Dropbox Dash from the dropdown. If you have any further questions or concerns, feel free to reach out and we'd be happy to assist you with them!

Regards, 
Dropbox Dash Support

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

WhoISTROiSi
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

That was unexpected.

When I first clicked back to Chrome to play with this (because I prefer FF for most things), I clicked in the address bar and got a popup:

"This has been taken over by Dropbox Dash!!! Hahaha! Do you want to switch back to Google?"

or something like that. Why have a disappearing search blob on my taskbar, plus the extension if I pin it, when you want to turn Chrome address bar into "Dash Search"? 

I thought I read all the privacy invasions very clearly (took screenshots at least), and I didn't see that as something that would change.

Thankfully I don't care about my Chrome browser and am only using it to see how badly I can break this thing.

If I sound a bit cynical, it's not me, it's the auto-suggest from a different AI I have writing for me.

Later

WiT

DBXjames
Dropbox Staff

Hi @WhoISTROiSi,

Thanks for your feedback! We've passed it along to the relevant teams. Additionally, we just wanted to let you know that you can reach the Dash support team by visiting dropbox.com/support/email and selecting Dropbox Dash from the dropdown. If you have any further questions or concerns, feel free to reach out and we'd be happy to assist you with them!

Regards, 
Dropbox Dash Support

almostdashedbutnotgonna
New member | Level 2

Thanks for the heads up. I almost did it, then I started to try to find info on this. It's oddly silent... even on reddit. That's not normal.

There are a few things I can't stand... Dropbox seems to cover all of them. 

Corporations that do not communicate with their clients. 

Being force fed a beta for an app that seems to not do anything new, other than be a HUGE DATA MINING OPERATION to be sure to earn DB billions on the data market. From this point forward, I will not answer a single survey for free. I will not beta test anything without some compensation and be sure when a company asks my opinion, I will be brutally honest. There aren't many, if any at all that are worth a **bleep** anymore. The customers (really the product) are being exploited and we are paying for it. I am not amused. 

Barbara
Dropbox Engineer

Hey @almostdashedbutnotgonna.  Thank you for reaching our with your feedback, and I understand you have concerns regarding how Dropbox handles data. You can find more information about this on our AI principles page, and on our Privacy Policy FAQ.

Additionally, we just wanted to let you know that you can reach the Dash support team by visiting dropbox.com/suppport/email and selecting Dropbox Dash from the dropdown . If you have any further questions or concerns, feel free to reach out and we'd be happy to assist you with them!

edenson
New member | Level 2

Me too. Spent an hour or so on it, and my first search was a complete dud.  The promise was enticing but the performance is zilch. Even if it would do as promised, there doesn't seem to be any way to quickly access it. I made an alias but it would not go to my dock - I'm using a Mac, of course. So for now, back to standard Mac searches/

edenson
New member | Level 2

The support email does not go anywhere as of Oct 15, 2023

Rich
Super User II

@edenson wrote:

The support email does not go anywhere as of Oct 15, 2023

It just had a typo (an extra "p" in the URL). I've corrected it.

POTUS31
New member | Level 2

I'm surprised to find out that our private data was used to train an AI. Not something I signed up for. Thanks for selling my stuff without my permission, Dropbox.

Need more support?