cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you an educator? Well we want to hear from you, so check out some tools we think might help you out here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm cancelling my Dropbox Pro subscription

I'm cancelling my Dropbox Pro subscription

Sean G.1
New member | Level 1

Today, I am cancelling my Dropbox Pro subscription.  I have been a Pro subscriber for over 2 years now.

Back in the early 2010s, Dropbox was an obvious choice; services like Google Drive, Box, Copy, OneDrive, and Amazon Glacier didn't exist.  When you wanted to sync a file across the cloud, you really had one choice: Dropbox.

Now, all of this has changed.  Dropbox is now one of the most expensive cloud storage providers, and only controls 27% of the market.  It seems almost stupid to continue using Dropbox, with providers like Google Photos and iCloud offering unlimited photo cloud storage.

Dropbox costs more for me than my annual hosting fees, put together.

When I first started using Dropbox, it was great; I was awarded with a free month of paid services.  I got way more than just the free month, too: I helped in pioneering the technology, and provided over 15 referrals to the service in its early days.  I was even awarded a free year's of Pro subscription + 1TB of storage for a year as a sufferer of the selective sync issue.

When I look back, Dropbox got me hooked like this.  As I continued to use the service, the amount of files I had stored in the cloud increased and increased, until I had well over the standard 1TB.

And I couldn't switch either.  What people don't tell you is how difficult it is to migrate your data to another service.  With over 1TB of data, you'd think such a task would be easy by simply copying folder structures over.  However, the task becomes much harder, as dropbox makes sure to not show you folder sizes, even in their own app.  This meant that I had to check each file and folder individually before syncing to an alternative service.

Seem on purpose?  Of course.

I am sick and tired of Dark UX patterns to keep users on Dropbox.  Today, my monthly payment of 14CAD a month will end, and I will begin migrating all of my data to an alternative.  14CAD is just way too much, and I hope Dropbox can reduce this cost to something more reasonable like $5CAD/mo at the most.

10 Replies 10

Re: Leaving Dropbox Pro

RTJ F.
New member | Level 1

I just came onto this forum to post a suggestion about pricing, and saw this post at the top of the pile... it is absolutely relevant to my feelings - i think that there is a huge hole in the pricing structure; Basic - 2Gb is pretty much useless these days, and then there is a massive jump to 1Tb for £7.99/month. I agree with Sean G, this is way too expensive for a mediocre service, to say the least. I am just on the verge of migrating all my data from dropbox to google drive (100Gb for $1.99/month - whatever that is in £stg)....  that is a sensible step up from basic for a reasonable amount of money..

... so come on dropbox - how about squeezing a "Standard" package in between Basic and Pro, similar to Google's 100Gb/$1.99/month, or even less???

In the meantime, I am joining Sean G - I'm not upgrading to Pro for that price!!  i am happy to pay Google for 100Gb...  *IF* dropbox can sort their act out with a sensible package, I will come back - the one redeeming feature is a top quality Linux client 🙂

Alexis G.1
Super User

as dropbox makes sure to not show you folder sizes

This is not true. In your PC or Laptop, you can check the size of every folder in Dropbox, like a regular folder. Right click, Properties and Done.

Regarding the service: Dropbox is well integrated with most devices and apps. Space seems ok for most users. I'm a happy Dropbox user.

1TB for 99USD a year is very good. I don't save "everything" in Dropbox (I have 16TB of data), but I have about 300Gb in the cloud and I have access to all this data from all my devices: at work, at home. In my PC, Laptops, Smartphones and Ipad.

Have a great Sunday!

RTJ F.
New member | Level 1

not everyone needs anywhere near as much as 1Tb... but most people need a bit more than 2Gb.

RTJ F.
New member | Level 1

... also dont forget that on Google drive, you can literally store an infinite number of photo, videos and documents, if they are less than 2048px or shorter than 15 mins, or created by google docs.

Rich
Super User II

... also dont forget that on Google drive, you can literally store an infinite number of photo, videos and documents

And don't forget that Google has it's ad revenue to subsidize Drive, Apple has its hardware revenue to subsidize iCloud, and Microsoft has its software revenue to subsidize OneDrive. What other revenue source does Dropbox have?

All the other major competitors lose money on their cloud services. They don't care because their other revenue streams make up for it. They use their cloud offerings to get people in the door, where many of them go on to use their other services and generate more revenue.

Alexis G.1
Super User

Rich is correct.

Darlene L.1
New member | Level 1

Seems like a lot to pay, $99 year, since I have iCloud, am I covered enough not to continue at this price or have they a lesser price somewhere? And if I do not renew at the $99 do I lose all the years before where I have been paying $99 a year?

Mark
Super User II

They dont have lesser prices Darlene. 

And I'm not sure what you mean by 'do I lose all the years before where I have been paying $99 a year?'

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Salvador V.
Explorer | Level 4

I have been getting more storage space in my basic account, I already have 6.25 GB.

If I upgrade to Dropbox Pro, and some day I decided to come back to basic. Do I conserve my actual storage space?

Thanks

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Salvador V. Explorer | Level 4
    Mark Super User II
    Darlene L.1 New member | Level 1
    Alexis G.1 Super User
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?