cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insufficient storage space on Android

Insufficient storage space on Android

justine f.2
New member | Level 1

Hi, I accidentally deleted Dropbox App from my Android phone (SE Xperia Ray). I can't get it back as it says I have insufficient space. I have cleared plenty of space on the phone and still the same. I am using Dropbox across my devices so this is really troublesome.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: insufficient storage space on Android

Jay
Dropboxer
To weigh in here, officially it's not possible to install the Dropbox app on your SD card. The app must be stored on your device's internal storage.

If you use a third party app to try to move the app’s location to the SD card, we can’t even predict what would happen, so it’s something we don’t recommend at all.

I’ve pass on the feedback though to our dev team to let them know about this request for future consideration!

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here.]

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Alexander G.18
New member | Level 1

I have an One Terabyte account with plenty space, but my Samasung Galaxy S5's internal memory (16GB) is getting full and a big part of the load comes from my Dropbox account (about 6GB), since I synchronized my Android device with my Dropbox account.
Is there a way to keep the Dropbox App on my smartphone without overloading its internal memory?

1) It means. is it possible to access my Dropbox cloud files and upload files to the cloud without having a copy necessarily loaded on the internal Smartphone's memory?
2) Is there a way to use the SD memory instead of the smartphone's internal memory for the mirror of the Dropbox files? If yes I will purchase a bigger SD to accommodate the files and solve the problem? (the memory presently used by the thumbnails is more than 5 GB)
3) If I delete the Dropbox media on the Smartphone will the cloud stores data be deleted?

Please help me to continue using Dropbox, because I'm about to delete the APP from my Smartphone.

James D.43
New member | Level 1

This is exactly the problem I'm having with Dropbox on my Samsung Nexus S. Dropbox is the second-largest user of space on my on my phone, at 66.49MB total. I don't see a way to transfer the app and data for Dropbox to the USB storage, where I have >10GB free.

I had a theory that maybe Dropbox was saving files for offline viewing on my mobile device. However, I see no references to "offline viewing" in my Dropbox app, v.3.0.2.  The suggestions in "How do I save files for offline viewing on my mobile device?" https://www.dropbox.com/help/87 refer to menu items that I don't see in my Dropbox app.

Cathy F.8
New member | Level 1

I'm having the same problems as both James D. and Alexander G. I'd like to both limit what folders the phone has access to, and put the Dropbox storage on my SD micro card instead of internal memory. I'm having trouble upgrading other apps due to insufficient storage. I just added the SD card today.

Sing
New member | Level 2

Yesterday, the 16 GB internal memory in my Samsung Galaxy S5 was up to 15.5 GB level. I was worried that it will run out of space in internal memory very soon. A few months ago, I had installed a 32-GB micro-SD card for the purpose of moving a lot of stuff from internal memory into this 32 GB micro-SD card. I also have DropBox on this SGS5 and in my other PCs.

Today I did several things to free up about 2 GB of internal memory in my SGS5:

A. I spent some time and effort to move all my data, files, pictures, video, etc. from internal memory into the micro-SD card.

How to move data to SD Card on SGS5

1. Open My Files app on SGS5
  2. Tap on Device Storage (i.e., internal memory).
  3. Navigate to the folder you want to move to the SD card.
  4. Long press on the folder, you will feel a slight vibration and then check box will appear next to all the folders.
  5. Check mark all the folders you want to move.
  6. Tap the text of SD Card as the destination for the move

B. Cleared the Cache (i.e., Deleted all temporary files)

The procedure to clear the cache is described in the following website:

https://www.androidpit.com/how-to-clear-galaxy-s5-cache

C. Switch from offline mode to online mode for many of My Microsoft Word files

For each of my sightseeing driving tour, I load several Word files of useful information into my SGS5 so that I have instant access to such information in my trip. To make them instant accessible, I turn on offline mode for each of such Word files so that these files reside in internal memory of SGS5 and I do not have to download them from its source in DropBox. However, over last two years, I accumulated many of such offline Word files in the internal memory of my SGS5. So, I spent some time to switch these files to online mode which means that they reside in DropBox and not in the internal memory of SGS5. This process frees up substantial amount of space in the internal memory of SGS5.

D. Moved some Apps from internal memory into Micro-SD card. Not all Apps can be moved into micro-SD card. Only very small percentage of Apps can be moved into micro-SD card.

E. Deleted (uninstalled) some Apps that are useless for me.

Jay
Dropboxer
To weigh in here, officially it's not possible to install the Dropbox app on your SD card. The app must be stored on your device's internal storage.

If you use a third party app to try to move the app’s location to the SD card, we can’t even predict what would happen, so it’s something we don’t recommend at all.

I’ve pass on the feedback though to our dev team to let them know about this request for future consideration!

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here.]

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Cathy F.8 New member | Level 1
    James D.43 New member | Level 1
    Alexander G.18 New member | Level 1
    Jay Dropboxer
    Sing New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?