cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bulk share rights from "Can View" to "Can share"

Highlighted

Bulk share rights from "Can View" to "Can share"

New member | Level 2

Hi, how do I change "Can View" share rights to "Can Edit" share rights across multiple folders for multiple users?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Bulk share rights from "Can View" to "Can share"

Dropboxer

Hey @MyBI - welcome to the Dropbox Community!

I am afraid there's not a current feature to support this functionality - you'd have to go into each folder's settings and change the sharing permissions for each folder individually.

This is how to set permissions on dropbox.com if you’re the owner or an editor of a shared folder: 

1. Sign in to dropbox.com.
  2. Click Files.
  3. Navigate to the folder you’re interested in.
  4. Hover over the folder and click Share.
  5. Next to the name of a member, click the dropdown and select Can edit, Can view, or Remove.   

Note that you can choose the Folder settings option for more advanced settings as well. 

I will pass this along to the development team as a feature request since changing permissions in bulk for shared folders would be very useful indeed. In the meantime, a way to do this would be to have all the content you want to share with edit rights, moved/copied to a new folder and then share it anew with all the people you want, setting the default permissions to "Can Edit" when inviting them to this newly created folder. 

I know this is not much of a solution but I hope it helps in a way.  If you have any more questions, just let me know. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hey @MyBI - welcome to the Dropbox Community!

I am afraid there's not a current feature to support this functionality - you'd have to go into each folder's settings and change the sharing permissions for each folder individually.

This is how to set permissions on dropbox.com if you’re the owner or an editor of a shared folder: 

1. Sign in to dropbox.com.
  2. Click Files.
  3. Navigate to the folder you’re interested in.
  4. Hover over the folder and click Share.
  5. Next to the name of a member, click the dropdown and select Can edit, Can view, or Remove.   

Note that you can choose the Folder settings option for more advanced settings as well. 

I will pass this along to the development team as a feature request since changing permissions in bulk for shared folders would be very useful indeed. In the meantime, a way to do this would be to have all the content you want to share with edit rights, moved/copied to a new folder and then share it anew with all the people you want, setting the default permissions to "Can Edit" when inviting them to this newly created folder. 

I know this is not much of a solution but I hope it helps in a way.  If you have any more questions, just let me know. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Was looking for this as well. Is it possible to create folders which are automatically ONLY shared with a certain group? Eg: use the prefix MGMT - and share the folder only with the Management Group?

Or if that's not an option, be able to bulk change folder access rights? 

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?