cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't remove my own acess to a file

Can't remove my own acess to a file

Kroketti
Explorer | Level 4

This help page https://www.dropbox.com/help/files-folders/leave-shared-folder suggests to remove yourself from having acess to a file/folder in order to unshare it and remove it from your dropbox but leave it for everyone else. However, when I try this, there is no dropdown menu next to my name. There is an arrow for all other names but not for mine (I am not the creator of the folder). If I try to do it via the desktop app, I receive an error message saying that I don't have permission to remove myself.

Help would be highly appreciated!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Can't remove my own acess to a file

Walter
Dropboxer
Could you try removing your access from this folder through your account's sharing tab then @Kroketti?

That might do the trick for you. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Walter
Dropboxer
Hi @Kroketti; welcome to our Community!

You'll need to transfer the ownership of the folder to another member first. Then, you'll be able to remove your own access from the shared folder in question normally.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Kroketti
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Walter,

thank you for your suggestion!

Unfortunately, I am not the owner of the file/folder so I can not transfer ownership.

I have attached a screenshot for clarification of my problem.

1.jpg

Walter
Dropboxer
Could you try removing your access from this folder through your account's sharing tab then @Kroketti?

That might do the trick for you. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

View solution in original post

Kroketti
Explorer | Level 4

Yes, I can remove my access from the whole folder via the sharing tab, thank you for your suggestion.

I assume it is not possible to remove my access from subfolders or single files?

Walter
Dropboxer
Since the parent folder would still be considered as shared (with you), this wouldn't be possible indeed @Kroketti.

All folders inherit the sharing properties of their parent folders, so if any folder higher in the hierarchy is shared already, the subfolders cannot have its own sharing properties.

I hope this makes sense and please let us know if you have any more questions!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?