cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Cannot access drop box application (Mac) in order to unlink dropbox from desktop folders

Cannot access drop box application (Mac) in order to unlink dropbox from desktop folders

Thomas Kalasz
Explorer | Level 3

I am trying to unlink the desktop folder that drop box decided to upload (and cram my storage space full). I do not want my desktop folders in drop box. The instructions I've found for doing this say to go to the App, well when I open it all that pops up is a "Dropbox folder" in the Mac finder format, not in a separate program/application. 

I also remember reading that if I delete the storage on drop box, it will erase my info on MY COMPUTER!What the hell.

16 Replies 16

Re: Cannot access drop box application (Mac) in order to unlink dropbox from desktop folders

Vicker
Super User

Hi, @Thomas Kalasz ,

To answer your question, if you want to launch the "Dropbox desktop app" instead of "Finder", you will have to change it inside the Dropbox preferences page (General tab > Open folders in). Please refer to the following official documentation for details.

What is the Dropbox desktop app? > Choose where to open folders

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/desktop-application-overview

And if you want to stop Dropbox from backing up your computer, you could simply change the setting inside the Dropbox preferences page (Backups tab > This Mac section). Details are available in this official documentation.

How to use computer backup > Turn off computer backup

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/computer-backup

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Vicker

Thomas Kalasz
Explorer | Level 3

this is what comes up when I open the applicationthis is what comes up when I open the application

here is what comes up when I open dropbox from the applications page, I can't access the preferences as you can see in the top left corner

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @Thomas Kalasz, thanks for reaching out.

Can you tell me what you see when you click on the small Dropbox icon in your menu bar?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Vicker
Super User

Hi @Thomas Kalasz ,

The attached screenshot may help you through 🙂

Cheers

Vicker

Thomas Kalasz
Explorer | Level 3

Yes I posted a screenshot of it above in the conversation. 

Hannah
Dropboxer
Thanks, Thomas!

Is this what you see when you open the app from the Dropbox icon in your dock (bottom of the screen) or the small one in your menu bar (top of the screen, near the battery icon)?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Thomas Kalasz
Explorer | Level 3

Hannah, Yes this screen shot that I posted above in the conversation is what I see when I click on the dock icon or try to open the application from the applications menu in the Mac finder, it does not allow me to access preferences

Hannah
Dropboxer
Thanks for the clarification. It's strange that the Dropbox folder opens, when you click on the Dropbox icon in the menu bar.

Can you try uninstalling the Dropbox application, restarting your computer and then reinstalling it, to see if that helps?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Thomas Kalasz
Explorer | Level 3

I un-installed the application, restarted, installed, still can't open the menu when I double click the application icon in the applications folder. I can access dropbox from the top of the screen tho. I still can't figure out how to unsync the entirety of the folders on my desktop.

Need more support?