cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleted Dropbox files also gone from PC

Deleted Dropbox files also gone from PC

arwie
Explorer | Level 3

Deleted Dropbox and PC files

After getting the "Dropbox is full" message I deleted files from Dropbox to free up some space. Those files, as far as I can tell have now completely disappeared from both Dropbox AND my PC. I have researched as much as possible the questions and answers here on the Community page, but no solution yet. I don't recall seeing the warning message some users speak of, that "proceding will also delete files from your PC" or similar, but I guess I may have overlooked it. I have watched the support video on recovering the files, but Deleted Files in Dropbox is empty. I can't find them at all, other than the empty folders the files once sat in. I am certainly an amateur as far as Dropbox is concerned, but always found it amateur friendly until recently. The only step I can recall taking after not being active with Dropbox for some time, was to allow it to sync., which quickly led to it being full, which then lead to deleting files to make space, which lead to my current quandary.

3 Replies 3

Re: Deleted Dropbox files also gone from PC

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

@arwie wrote:

After getting the "Dropbox is full" message I deleted files from Dropbox to free up some space. ...

Hi @arwie,

You said that have "deleted files from Dropbox to free up some space". It's not very clear, have you deleted files on your account space (using web interface) or into the local Dropbox folder? 🧐 I will assume you have removed something out from your local Dropbox folder. Most probably you have removed files not in sync yet. That's why such files can't be found in Dropbox' "deleted files". To be deleted they first have to be there in advance (that hasn't been at corresponding moment yet)! Did you remove the files completely or not (are they still in trash bin)? The only chance is to restore whatever you can out from trash bin! That's it.

Good luck.

arwie
Explorer | Level 3

Quick response, thank you. I deleted the files in the Dropbox web interface, wrongly assuming that's as far as it would go. No files in my local Recycle bin, which is the only trash bin I can find. is that what you refer to?

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Yes, that's it. I can't say anything more, but take care what you gonna set up (I mean "Dropbox Backup" feature) in future, if that's something you aren't plane to use and not aware what is. 🤷

Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?