cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting full computer sync backup

Deleting full computer sync backup

levrad
New member | Level 2

Can anyone please tell me who I get rid of the "My Mac" item from my dropbox folder?  

My dropbox folder used to just have what I chose to have in it.  A few months ago I upgraded my plan to 2TB and activated the backing up of the key folders.  However, I decided to go down a different route with iCloud, so took the app off my computer.  Now, I have downgraded my plan to basic, and just want it back to like before.  I have deleted everything I don't want from dropbox in the website, and reinstalled the app to my Mac.  However, now there's a permanent grey Apple icon and "My Mac" in the dropbox folder on my finder, and it won't let me delete it: it keeps telling me I can't.  

I have gone into preferences and de-activated everything from backing up, and I still can't delete it - either from the finder dropbox folder or at the dropbox website.  It is over 30GB in size, and I now only have 2GB of storage (which is all I need), so my dropbox app keeps telling me my dropbox is full and won't sync anymore.  Apart from this whole computer thing, I only have two small folders and three documents in it, totalling well under the 2gb limit....  Can anyone help?

1 Reply 1

Re: Deleting full computer sync backup

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hi there @levrad, thanks for checking in with us. 

It looks like you, at some point in time, had computer backup enabled, which added your computer folders (like Downloads) in your Dropbox folder. 

If you've made sure that the feature is turned off, could you let me know what happens when you try to move some of its files to another location outside of your Dropbox folder?

A screenshot of any error messages you get would be super helpful. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?