cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop app is syncing some files forever

Desktop app is syncing some files forever

Darren A.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi All,

A week or so ago dropbox got stuck syncing. Says syncing 42 files, forever. Some files are being synced, but others arent. I reinstalled software, I relinked the account. Nothing has worked. Running Win10, dropbox version 12.4.22.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

madhatterts
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
13.4.21 seems to have worked for me on Win 7. The DropBox support people did respond and we're asking questions but since it seems to be working now I'm happy.

View solution in original post

steffen_le
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
I think I found the problem on my machine. But there must be a bug. The problem always starts when I try to rename a file. This copying and deleting the file in one stroke does not work on my Windows 10 32-bit computer. Best wishes

View solution in original post

29 Replies 29

drftr
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Same problem here. I installed the latest version. Didn't do the trick. An unlink / relink did and the number of files being synced dropped to zero. But then I changed 2 files, they are synced, but Dropbox shows these files are being synced for a hour now. Seems that an unlink / relink works, but you will still have the same problem... 😞

drftr

drftr
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Taking a better look it seems that when moving files on my (your?) computer they are copied on the web instead, so without deleting the original.

So say you're moving 2 files on your pc, on the website it does move those 2 files but the app will continue syncing the 2 files that don't exist in that location on your pc anymore.

Is that what you're seeing as well?

drftr

madhatterts
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Running Dropbox 12.4.22 on Windows 7. My system was stuck indexing 9 files. I reinstalled the app and moved the files to a new location. The problem with being stuck indexing files returned within a day. 

steffen_le
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I do have the same problem with Windows 10 32-bit. Tried to reinstall and reconnect the dropbox several times. Deinstalled the antivirus, tried the suggestions. 

I additionally removed all configuration files from programs in it. Nothing helps. Two other computers with Windows 10-64 do the sync without any problem. 

Could it be that there is a bug in the version 12.4.22?

steffen_le
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
I will try reinstalling now once again. After that I try the beta version. What a pitty that there is now download for older versions.

drftr
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Steffen,

Filehippo has older and original versions for download. I guess I'll just wait for the new version but if that has the same problem I'll download an older version as well.

Please let us know if you were successful.

drftr

steffen_le
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks for the information. Tried over the night the new beta... no success. Now 16 files without change after syncing once and placing three files into the box. Now I deinstall again and reinstall the older version 11.4.22. 

steffen_le
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi again, did not work. Dropbox made immediately an update. Problem started again after putting some files into the box. I will wait for an answer by the support now. Very frustrated because I need the box.

Darren A.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This is annoying! I have two computers, one and work, one at home, running the same account. Work is fine, home is broken!!!! I need a fix ASAP as this is becoming annoying. I am sure there is a file (or two) stopping the sync working, but the online checker gives no insights which leads me to believe it might be one I have added at home. Which one that is is anyones guess!!! Support, where are you!

Thanks everyone for you advice though!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

RevMustang New member | Level 2
    steffen_le Helpful | Level 6
    madhatterts Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?