cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out how our Community members are using Dropbox here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox is going crazy

Highlighted

Dropbox is going crazy

Explorer | Level 3

I have already posted but received no answers. As I sid heree Dropbox keeps beeping and each time it says it has added files to my account. I have 16+ gigs and don't even use a1 gig and they are telling me I aam out of space. Please tell me what is going on or eslse I will have to delete the program.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox is going crazy

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @ptrjack, it sounds like you enabled the computer backup feature for the desktop app to backup your Desktop, Document and Downloads folders.

You can follow the steps towards the bottom of this article, and during step 8 you can choose "Keep content in folders on this PC/Mac" to remove the files that were backed up to Dropbox and keep them locally on your computer.

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @ptrjack; welcome to our Commnunity!

Truth be told, this is the first post I see from your Community profile; when/were did you post your previous queries? 

As per your account's quota usage, can you tell me what is your account's plan tab reporting? 

While we're at it, note that a screenshot of the app's status as shown within your system tray/menu bar will also help us get a better picture of what's going on so please feel free to attach one in your next reply. 

Regarding the notifications and the sounds they make, I believe this is controlled by your computer's OS and not our desktop application. 

Keep me posted on your findings and we'll take it from there. 

Walter

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Walter, I replied twice to you and got no response. When I come back here to response is gone.

If there is no help on here I will drop it because all my files are coming off my computert and going on drop box and I don't know why

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Resending:

As far as where I previously posted-not sure, maybe I did it wrong.

This is all free from referrals--
Using 15.39 GB of 15.38 GB

Not suree if what I gave you on Ststem tray is right-if not please explain. I am not good aat this.

Also, I am not speaking of the annoying noises when files download. I was speaking about seeing 69 files added, 90 filees added and going on and on when I did not add anything.

One more thing. I lost files because I waas trying to lighten the amount of space I use, I notice it was also deleting off my computer. That never happened before.

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

Hi @ptrjack 

From the thing you posted there it is showing you are using 15.39gb space on an account which has 15.39gb of space. In other words, its full. 

If you delete files at www.dropbox.com then it deletes from your computer and linked devices - thats how Dropbox works. Its like a mirror, what happens on one device replicates to them all. 

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

It never did it before. Maybe I pushed the wrong button. How do I stop syncing because it seems to be putting all my computer files on. I have a back up. I just need it if I am saving something between home and office

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I think there are a bunch of people who know some simple things and when they get confused, they ignore you, Is there actual drop box help in here>?

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @ptrjack, it sounds like you enabled the computer backup feature for the desktop app to backup your Desktop, Document and Downloads folders.

You can follow the steps towards the bottom of this article, and during step 8 you can choose "Keep content in folders on this PC/Mac" to remove the files that were backed up to Dropbox and keep them locally on your computer.

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I had finally figured it out with the help of my daughter before your message. Thank you, I wish I would have gotten your response a long time ago. It seems there are many people in the community who guess and retreat.

Tanks.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?