cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox is re-syncing my files again?

Dropbox is re-syncing my files again?

Viqhaas M.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Why on earth is this happening ?!? its resyncing everything again nothing has been changed why ?

114 Replies 114

MikeMMS
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

We are having the same issue across different PCs and Macs.  Dropbox Business account.  We use smart sync but we are still over 300k files.

We have not been able to identify why yet, but on occasion the desktop app decides to re-sync all file and it takes upwards of 2 days with our significant amount of data. We do believe there is a correlation between deleting or moving folders, but have not yet confirmed. We have verified that no symlinks exist:

dir /AL /S C:\ | find "SYMLINK"

So the big question is, shouldn't the index identify modified files and prevent the desktop app from re-syncing everything?

Any other suggestions that would prevent the re-sync of all files would be appreciated OR if you know what specifically triggers the re-sync of all files, please let us know and we will try to avoid that scenario.

4pixels
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

It's a few years ago now, but I found the issue on Mac was using the Maintenance scripts in CleanMyMac. Not an issue now.

lidag
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Same problem with resyncing all my files (obviously this has not been sorted out (Dec. 2020!).  And no, with South Africa's pathetic IT infrastructure it takes DAYS to resync. I am not impressed.

outsidetheboxtci
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

How do you delete the filecache.dbx file? I searched my computer but didn't find it. I have a Windows 10 Pro

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Sorry to be jumping in here, but have you tried the steps outlined here on your computer @outsidetheboxtci?

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

robbiemallett
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Yes my computer has begun doing this with every reboot. Dropbox seems to be totally useless for now. 

Absolutely infurating and has totally screwed up my work. I'm committed to Dropbox so can't easily leave the ecosystem, but wish I'd never joined.

Explorer | Level 3

After asking for and getting my system password (MacOS Monterey) Dropbox has been constantly "updating" files for about 24 hours. Screen Shot 2023-10-06 at 11.07.55 AM.png

What is going on here? Should I be concerned? 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @77002, thanks for joining our Community.

What was the message that you got before this happened?

Were you perhaps asked to update the application to the new Dropbox for macOS version?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Explorer | Level 3

Hi, @hannah. I didn't pay much attention, because I trust my OS and Dropbox not to steer me wrong, but I don't *think* it was to update the app.

Explorer | Level 3

It does look like the app updated yesterday. Can you please explain this update-everything behavior? I haven't seen this from a software update, at least in a long time.

Might Dropbox in the future give some heads-up about this, so that users are not getting into a length system-dragging file update when they have other more important things to do?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Angela S.21 New member | Level 1
    Rob D.2 New member | Level 1
    Craig M.18 Helpful | Level 5
    Martin M.21 New member | Level 1
    Matt B.73 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?