Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dropbox syncing to wrong drive

Explorer | Level 3

Recently had Dropbox/files switched from C to D drive because D had more storage space on home computer.  

Problems:

1.   changes made to files  on office computer and laptop are syncing to the the C drive on the home computer.  (Dropbox files on the C drive were not deleted).   How can I tell Dropbox files to go to the D drive?  If I delete Dropbox on the C drive would that solve the problem?  

2.  Dropbox icon in tray opens Dropbox on the C drive. Same question.  

Thank you!!

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox syncing to wrong drive

Super User
Super User

I understand the files in you C drive Dropbox folder are the latest version. 

1. Delete the Dropbox folder in your D drive. 
  2. Go to Dropbox Preferences (Click the Dropbox icon in the taskbar tray > The account icon on the top right > and choose Preferences) 
  3. Go to Sync tab, there you will see Location. Use the Move button to select your D drive location. That should do what you want.
  4. More details : https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/move-dropbox-folder
Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for your response.  Actually, I have updated the D drive manually so it contains current files that were synced from other devices.  D drive on this home computer is the default save for other apps. 

Super User
Super User

If you have manually copied files, Dropbox won't recognize. If you still have all the files in the C drive, that means you have two copies. You can first delete the files in D drive (otherwise I am afraid, it will conflict when you use the Dropbox Move from settings). Then use the Move from the Dropbox Preferences to move the Dropbox directory from C to D. If you are afraid of data loss, and you have enough space in your D drive, you may rename the already existing Dropbox folder (which you copied to D drive) to something else (like Dropbox_copy or Dropbox_old etc). Later you can delete it once you are sure that all the files are safe in new Dropbox folder after Move

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?