cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely slow download, I've wasted time

Highlighted

Extremely slow download, I've wasted time

Explorer | Level 3

Part 1: Really dropbox? 5 hours to download a 3.9gb file? I have a 200mb/s connection, and the best part, even when I accept that dropbox is trash and I have to deal with their painfully slow download speeds when files finally finish downloading it says "download failed" or something along those lines.

Fix your servers and don't tell me the bs that you tell everyone "your ISP is limiting your download speed for dropbox files" that makes no sense at all, I'm paying for office internet.

Part 2: Oh your state of the art app for the desktop what a joy to use (sarcasm) looks and works like something out of 2003, I thought it would be a little bit better than using the browser to download but to my surprise IT'S EVEN WORST. Really dropbox 3 DAYS TO SYNC 3.9GB OF DATA? And yes my download rate is set at "don't limit" I can't imagine how many months it would take if it was limited. I even subscribed to a "pro account" thinking that it would make things work, same trash as before.

So I turned off sync because I won't wait 3 days for something that should download in 5 minutes, and because smart sync is set to "online only" now there's no "download" button for the folder in the desktop app. How does that make any sense. 

Part 3: Why are you using dropbox if you think it's trash? I don't use it, this is a file that was shared to me so I don't have an option. And there's no reason to have these problems even less when I'm subscribed to this "service" never had a problem with icloud or google drive why is this such a pain and a waste of time to use? 

Part 4: Thanks for wasting many hours of my time trying to solve issues that shouldn't exist in 2020 for something that should download IN 5 MINUTES. 

2 Replies 2
Highlighted

Re: Extremely slow download. Dropbox is a joke and a waste of time.

Dropboxer

Hi @marcod, sorry to hear about your frustration and thanks for sharing your thoughts with us on the Dropbox Community. 

At first, if you'd prefer to use your Finder or File Explorer instead of the desktop app, you can do so by chanding the desktop app's Preferences, as mentioned in this article

Also, to make a file or a folder local instead of online-only, simply right-click on it and choose the relevant Smart Sync option. 

If it doesn't show up, it could be that the desktop app isn't running, which you can tell since the Dropbox icon will be missing from the menu bar or system tray. 

Finally, note that if this is a shared file/folder, you don't need to install the desktop app to save it to your computer locally. Instead, you can download it from the website by clicking on the ellipsis (...) that should appear next to it and selecting Download. 

Once again, thank you for your feedback and if anything else comes up, just give us another nudge. Thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Re: Extremely slow download. Dropbox is a joke and a waste of time.

Explorer | Level 3
I know I can download directly from the browser but like I said in my first post it takes 5 hours to download a 3.9gb file with a 200mb/s internet connection. So I thought that using the app would make the download a bit faster but no, it takes 3 days to download 3.9gbs, unbelievable.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?