cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How secure are file requests?

How secure are file requests?

Robea
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi, I have been asked to judge a photocompetition. It is national (UK) and means I need to find a way of allowing people to post the photos to me. I am thinking of creating a file on my Dropbox for this and then will need to publish a file request link in the club magazine so people can post. There could be a couple of hundred photos.. I am little concerned about the security of this. Could someone send a photo with malware and, by accepting the post, I will infect my computer? If my computer will be secure then fine, if not any other suggestions would be appreciated. I do have antivirus software running on my iMac.  thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Robea, thanks for posting on the Community!

File requests allow any user to upload a file to your Dropbox account, and isn’t restricted by file type.

It is possible for files infected with viruses to be uploaded to your account, which would then sync to your machine. Generally, viruses only activate if the file is opened, however there have been cases when this isn’t necessary.

Another possibility, if you’re expecting many images and uploads, is that it could reach your daily bandwidth limit, which would temporarily prevent any further uploads.

Hope this helps to clarify matters!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Robea, thanks for posting on the Community!

File requests allow any user to upload a file to your Dropbox account, and isn’t restricted by file type.

It is possible for files infected with viruses to be uploaded to your account, which would then sync to your machine. Generally, viruses only activate if the file is opened, however there have been cases when this isn’t necessary.

Another possibility, if you’re expecting many images and uploads, is that it could reach your daily bandwidth limit, which would temporarily prevent any further uploads.

Hope this helps to clarify matters!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Robea
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thank you very much for this guidance. I think I will take it to heart and not use the Dropbox account for this purpose and feel much reassured that I have done the right thing.  Emails, here I come!..  Thanks  

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I understand how you feel, it's always better to check now than do it first without knowing this.

The file request feature is useful when you're sharing it to small number of trusted individuals (such as students in a class), but when you open up the link to many unknown individuals, then the chance for irrelevant and potentially dangerous data increases, not to mention the possible sharing ban on your account.

Enjoy the remainder of your week!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    Robea Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?