Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How to avoid deletion of files in the case of a new pc

Helpful | Level 6

Hi! I have decided to migrate all of my data to dropbox. 

What I am wondering about are some failsafes and questions about syncing. 

1 - is there a safe way to make sure that I don't have some catastrophic failure which cascades through all my computers with data? For instance, what happens if the hard drive the dropbox is on crashes or something? 

2 - how does dropbox determine what to copy, move, or delete? Let's say I sync up computer A to dropbox. My entire Dropbox is Drive E: from computer A. What happens when I

-- install dropbox on a computer with a Drive E: that has different stuff on it

-- install dropbox on a different computer to the right directory of dropbox, but with a wildly different (older) folder/file structure? 

I do remember one time I plugged in my laptop and turned it on, linked my dropbox and it deleted a ton of stuff from my dropbox and I had to rewind. 

Im not sure how it happened, but I'm just wondering if there's a way I can be better about this. 

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: How to avoid deletion of files in the case of a new pc

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there @Jason M.50, thanks for checking in with us.

At first, you can check out this thread, where @Jay talks a bit more extensively about what happens and what you can do in case your computer crashes - knock on wood

As for the installation on different computers, they work independently. In other words, all content that’s placed inside your Dropbox folder will sync to other devices, regardless of where the folder is located in on those computers.

In general though, we recommend placing the Dropbox folder on a location that’s the same hard drive as your OS, as external drives can cause various errors and issues, including data loss, such as you describe. You can find more about this here.

I hope this helps, but let me know if you have any other questions!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?