cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

I can't remove a shared folder from my desktop

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hello,

Yesterday the owner of a folder that was shared with me notified me that some suspicious files had been uploaded from my account.  I did not upload any files to the shared folder, so it seems that something else was at play.  I have run a few antivirus scans and everything is coming back clean.

He has removed from the shared folder.  I have tried to delete the shared folder from my machine, but I get the message that the folder is in use, so it can't be deleted.  It looks like there are several files that are still "syncing" (uploading 1 file, downloading 4 files).  This has been going on for 24 hours.  I don't know what the files are, and I don't see a way to view what they are.

I am removed DB and reinstalled.  Same issue.

Can anyone help?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Account is Locked Up

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Thank you.

No luck.  I still get this message:

2020-07-03_14-16-19.jpg

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @ryanhofrichter, thanks for joining the Community!

Did the user delete the file from the shared folder, or your access instead? Are you able to leave the shared folder temporarily via the site, which would then delete it from the computer?

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

The user removed my access.  Interestingly, the folder does not appear on the Dropbox website.  It only appears on my computer.  But as mentioned earlier, DB is stuck in syncing mode on my computer and will not let me remove the folder.  Strange that this persists even after uninstalling and reinstalling.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Try quitting the Dropbox desktop application temporarily, so that all the sync icons on the files vanish, and then delete the shared folder on the computer to see if this helps.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Thank you.

No luck.  I still get this message:

2020-07-03_14-16-19.jpg

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I was able to resolve this issue by opening up task manager and deleting a program running in the background that had been used to view a file within the shared folder (prior to my permission being revoked).  

Thanks for your help!

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
<b>We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now <a href="https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Business-Tips-tricks/Folder-structure-best-practice/m-p/428456#M39"><u>check it out here</u></a>.</b>

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?