cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I didn't delete my files, but they were in my deleted files page. How did this happen?

I didn't delete my files, but they were in my deleted files page. How did this happen?

Explorer | Level 3

Hello, about 100 Gb over 40000 files diseappeared from one of my folders on dropbox. I found them in the deleted files box but I never deleted them. Now I am recovering them but it will take a long while. I am very worried because I am afraid not to have my files available when I need them. When they disappeared I was working not on the fixed computer the files are physically located but on my iPad. Any idea on what could have happened?

6 Replies 6

Re: Deleted files

Dropboxer

Hi there @Antonio57, I'm sorry to hear about that!

If you check in your events page here, you should be able to see where this deletion took place (eg. website, desktop app, mobile app).

Can you see from there which device these files were deleted from?

Keep me posted with your findings!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Thank you Daphne for your propmpt answer,

I apologize but I am pretty new to dropbox community and I do not know where I can find the events page you mention in your reply.

Thank you

Dropboxer

Thanks for the nudge on this one, Antonio.

Here's a direct link to your events page: 

https:confused face:/www.dropbox.com/events

You can also bookmark it for quicker access in the future if needed.

Let us know if you have any follow up questions @Antonio57

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

I went to check "events" and it looks like that I deleted the files in two batches one of 8260 files and another of 35665 files from the same folder. Of course I didn't, at least consciously. To be noted that when I have been supposed to eliminated the files I was working on my iPad with LiquidText taking files from inside the app directly to DropBox....and ideas of what it could happen?

Explorer | Level 3

Thank you Walter

Dropboxer

Were the deleted files related to LiquidText by any chance? It isn't possible to determine much about why the files were deleted, however, on the version history of one of the recovered files, you should be able to see which user and device deleted the file.

This might help shed some light on the subject, if it was in a shared folder for instance, or if it was deleted from a specific device.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?