cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have an issue with shared links and Facebook's messenger. Any ideas?

I have an issue with shared links and Facebook's messenger. Any ideas?

Pookeyblow
Collaborator | Level 8

When I or someone else share a Dropbox link to Facebook Messenger and you click on it, it says «get the app or continue to the website». I already have the app installed. How do I get it to open the app instead? Is this a bug?

6 Replies 6

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @Pookeyblow  - sorry to hear that.

As I haven't seen this message again, could you forward me a screenshot so I can investigate further?

Also, are you on the most recent versions of both apps on your mobile device(s)?

Thanks for your response!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Pookeyblow
Collaborator | Level 8

Here are numbered screenshots to show you what happens:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/htwtv9ia145y4fr/AABwRechbjvH0ajaXpRu_t8xa?dl=0

When someone shares a Dropbox link in Messenger, it gives me two options:

1. Go to App store to download Dropbox.
2. View the shared folder on the web.

It does not recognize that I have the Dropbox app installed as it does not let me open the shared folder in the app.

The two last screenshots shows the folder on the web. There is a blue bar that says "show in app", but when I click on it, it just says "get the Dropbox-app". Again; it doesn not recognize that I have the app installed.

I believe I have the most recent versions of the apps.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the additional information and useful screenshots @Pookeyblow - they're most appreciated.

Can you let me know if this happens for all shared links to file or folders, some or just a specific one?

If it only happens with one, can you forward me the link so I can test it out on my end?

Last but not least, can you try re-installing our mobile app and let me know if the issue persists? 

Thanks for your patience and cooperation!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Pookeyblow
Collaborator | Level 8

I've now reinstalled both the Dropbox app and the Facebook Messenger app.

I still have the issue. It happens on every link someone sends me and my friends have the same issue.

But we found out that if you click the 3 dots in the lower right corner and then hit "Open in Safari", it opens in the Dropbox app exactly as we want it to.

This is very confusing. What if you actually want it to open in Safari?

I'm sure this Facebooks fault and not yours, so it would be nice if you could talk to their team and try to get it fixed.

Jamesr1
Helpful | Level 6

Hi - on a similar vein, every time I click on a dropbox link (via email, messenger etc.) it opens the file/folder in dropbox.com

Is there a way for it to open on the desktop dropbox app instead?  Or even, once in the browser to then open it in the app.

All roads seem to lead to .com and not the app.

Thanks

James

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Hi there @Jamesr1, I hope you're well today!

Since you're using a computer, it's a little different that using the mobile app. You wouldn't be able to bypass opening the link via the website.

However, once you've opening the link on the website, you can click the "Open" button for one of the files and you should have the option to open the file locally (either File Explorer/Finder or the relevant app for the file eg. Microsoft Office apps).

Please bear in mind that you'll only be able to do this for files that are in your Dropbox account and synced locally via the desktop app. If the shared files are new, you can add them to your account and then try opening them locally once they're synced. 

Let me know if this helps!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropbox Staff
    Jamesr1 Helpful | Level 6
    Pookeyblow Collaborator | Level 8
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?