cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need my hard drive back!

I need my hard drive back!

Ann-Marie
Explorer | Level 4

Is there a way to totally disconnect from Dropbox temporarily? I need to work!

And then I need a workflow with Dropbox for the Mac or I cant keep using it. I have had dropbox for 20 years. What do I do?

I ran out of hard drive space awhile back and synced a bunch of files to online only. That seemed to fix it. 

Now everytime I try send new files to dropbox, It fills up my drive. I have unchecked everything I can think of.

I delete and delete and it works and then the amount of hard drive space creeps back down.

I have reinstalled the Dropbox app but I need to do some work and I can't figure out what is wrong.

This all seemed to start with smart sync.

In the old days on dropbox I could just disconnect syncing and I was ok.

The videos on selective sync suggest there is a tab where I get to choose and that is simply not there. I can't easily see what files are synced.

I am afraid to move more files to dropbox because it moves me closer to killing my ability to do anything.

I honestly don't know what to do.

Help! 

3 Replies 3

Re: I need my hard drive back!

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hi there @Ann-Marie, I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with this!

Firstly, can we check if your files are currently synced as "online only" with Smart Sync, or locally on your computer?

You can see this by just checking the sync icons that show next to the files and folders in your Finder window.

This article will show which icons you're looking for under the "Smart Sync" section.

Also, since you mentioned using selective sync too, to stop folders syncing to your computer at all, can you try following these steps and let me know if you run into any issues?

I'd suggest only using this to remove folders locally that you don't use often, which should free up some space on your hard drive for your immediately.

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Ann-Marie
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks @Daphne 

So far so good. Now I have pushed all my files to Dropbox for now. Smart sync is on globally. I see little icons.

But the question is, what do I now?

What is the point of selective sync if you are using smart sync?

How do I work on files when they are all in the Dropbox cloud? I mainly use my laptop to work on image files, store them etc. There might be several versions of a file. Right now, for example, I need to download files from a photoshoot. Can I download directly to Dropbox?

I really appreciate your help and need to learn to be competent with the Dropbox workflow.

Daphne
Dropboxer
Thanks for getting back to me here @Ann-Marie!

Removing the folders with selective sync was just a step to help us free up some space immediately on your Mac. Now, we can make sure the files sync correctly as "online only" to keep the space used minimal.

Can you open your desktop app preferences, and from the Sync tab, make sure that new files are set to sync as "online only"? This will apply for files downloading from your account online.

Then, you can re-check any folders in the selective sync settings that you need to access locally on your computer. I'd suggest doing just one or two folders at a time, and checking the hard drive storage isn't being filled.

The only thing to keep in mind then, is that when you open one of these files to work on it locally, or create new files in the Dropbox folder on your computer, these will be synced locally with a green tick icon, and these files will take space on the hard drive.

When you've finished working with these files, or you no longer want to store them locally on the computer, you can right click them and choose "Smart Sync - online only".

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?