cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how Community ideas impact Dropbox development? Check it out here

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My desktop app is stuck at syncing and I need help with the buttons to fix hardlinks and permissions

My desktop app is stuck at syncing and I need help with the buttons to fix hardlinks and permissions

Margie
Explorer | Level 4

I have the exact same problem as many others with Dropbox sticking with "2+day syncing".  Daphne kindly posted the solution below, but I can't get it to work.  When I hold down the space bar (in windows 10) absolutely nothing happens; I see no options anywhere for "Fix hard links" or "Fix permissions".

My assistant has the same problem and gets the same result  We are both on Win10.

What am I missing??  Thank you

If none of your top level folders are showing this icon, then I'd suggest trying the steps below to see if that resolves the "Syncing" status for you:

1. Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray/menu bar.
  2. Click the profile pic/initials icon in the top right of the window.
  3. Choose "Preferences..."
  4. Go to the "Account" tab.
  5. While holding the Space bar key (Windows/Linux) or Option/Alt key (Mac), click "Fix Hardlinks".

If this doesn't resolve the issue, please follow the steps again and instead click "Fix permissions". 

I hope this helps, let me know how it goes!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: 2-day syncing solution

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @Margie; how are you today?

I'm sorry for the slightly delayed reply; your post was caught by our Spam filter (probably due to its length) and I just moved it back for you. 

Moving on to your concern now, can you please try using the alt+H keys instead of the space button and let me know if this did the trick for you?

Thanks! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @Margie; how are you today?

I'm sorry for the slightly delayed reply; your post was caught by our Spam filter (probably due to its length) and I just moved it back for you. 

Moving on to your concern now, can you please try using the alt+H keys instead of the space button and let me know if this did the trick for you?

Thanks! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Margie
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you Walter, that worked like a charm.  I did restart the computer, and it too quite a long time to stabilise but now, for the first time in ages, it is "up to date".

Many thanks for the suggestion.

Margie

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for letting me know this worked Margie; I'm glad to hear it's sorted now.

Feel free to give us a nudge if you ever come up with a Dropbox question!

Until then, take care and stay safe! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropboxer
    Margie Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?