cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Read Only for users

Read Only for users

Bart_IBN
Explorer | Level 3

A customer of us shares all of his files with Dropbox Professionals. In order to be able to read those files we need a proffesional dropbox account for a team. We have no objection against this. However, we do not want our employees to share files of our own through dropbox, because we use different software for this (compliant to our security-rules). Is it possible for users to be able to read files, but not add new files to a dropbox account (as a sort of read only user)? 

I know it's possible to set files on read only, but this does not prevent users of adding new files to Dropbox. Is this possible?

3 Replies 3

Re: Read Only for users

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @Bart_IBN, thanks for your post!

When you give someone view-only access to a file or a folder, they can only view and download the file/folder. They have no edit rights. That includes adding files to the folder.

Of course, they can still add files to their own account and their own folders.

If you're interested in creating or joining a Dropbox Business team, the members by default will have edit rights to the team folders, but you can always change these rights to view-only.

You can read more about sharing with Dropbox Business here.

If you have any questions, let me know!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Bart_IBN
Explorer | Level 3

The question is mostly is there is a way to prefend the users of adding files to their own account and their own folders?

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @Bart_IBN, it wouldn't be possible to prevent users from adding files to their own account, even if they're a member of a Dropbox Business team.

It is possible to prevent adding to team folders or shared folders, but not to the private section on their account.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    Bart_IBN Explorer | Level 3
    Hannah Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?