cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recover Permanently Deleted Files from File Explorer

Highlighted

Recover Permanently Deleted Files from File Explorer

New member | Level 2

Hello,

I attempted to install Dropbox yesterday. Once I did it automatically synced to my Documents, Downloads and Desktop from Files Explorer. Dropbox then continued to upload file after file from my computer. This was too much memory and my Dropbox filled instantly. I manually selected all and deleted the items from Dropbox so I could have more storage, still having the files in File Explorer. The syncing would not stop so I deleted the Dropbox account and uninstalled it from my computer. I then attempted to delete the Dropbox from my Files Explorer which started to permanently delete my files that were synced to Dropbox in File Explorer. Is there any way to get those items back? Will restoring the hard drive bring back the deleted items? They are not showing in Dropbox deleted files. Please help.

Thank you,

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: Recover Permanently Deleted Files from File Explorer

Dropboxer

Hi there @TV14, thanks for checking in with us. 

When you uninstall the desktop app, the Dropbox folder becomes a regular folder on your hard drive that doesn't sync to your account online. 

As such, you can try recovering the files you deleted from your File Explorer the same way you would restore any other files. 

As for the Documents, Downloads, and Desktop folders that were backed up to your Dropbox folder, if you want to move them back to their original locations, you'll have to reinstall the desktop app and turn off the computer backup feature as outlined in this article

Let me know how it goes, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?