cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where does Dropbox inform potential users of unsupported file types

Where does Dropbox inform potential users of unsupported file types

jim10705
Explorer | Level 3

I am a fairly new Dropbox user and thus far very satisfied until I tried to upload certain file types developed by Google.  Dropbox would not allow them to be uploaded claiming they are not supported.  I don't recall anywhere in the sign up process for creating a Dropbox account seeing a disclaimer or warning stating which file types are not supported.  The Terms of Service do not mention or refer to unsupported file types.  It simply refers to content as your "stuff" without mentioning specific limitations on file types.

Unless I missed it, wouldn't it be a good idea to make any limitations on file types a big noticeable warning/disclaimer as part of the sign up process (?).

Shouldn't the Terms of Service include or refer to a section that states such limitations of the service (?)

Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Where does Dropbox inform potential users of unsupported file types

Jay
Dropboxer
Thanks for the update, this is the case if you're adding files directly from Google docs, since they won't be supported on Dropbox.

If you need any further assistance in future, please let me know!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @jim10705, thanks for contacting us!

There are no restrictions on the type of file you can upload to the Dropbox site.

Are you referring to uploading Google doc files which were already downloaded from Google, or some other type of files?

Any other info or screenshots would be helpful!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

jim10705
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for replying.

After doing more searching in Dropbox online Help I confirmed that Dropbox (or perhaps Google?) does not allow Google Docs Google Workspace file types moved/uploaded into Dropbox.  See attached screenshot of Dropbox help page.  I think this limitation, along with other noteworthy ones, should be a warning disclaimer (with explanation of alternative options) as part of the sign up process so that users can decide beforehand the impact on planned usage of Dropbox.

Screenshot 2021-05-12 7.58.13 PM.png

Jay
Dropboxer
Thanks for the update, this is the case if you're adding files directly from Google docs, since they won't be supported on Dropbox.

If you need any further assistance in future, please let me know!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

View solution in original post

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    jim10705 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?