cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why am I not getting notifications for changes made in a shared folder?

Why am I not getting notifications for changes made in a shared folder?

Helpful | Level 5

Hi, In the past I would receive a notification if any updates were made to a shared folder. Recently we’ve created many new folders, yet I’ve received no updates.
I’ve checked the notifications settings and those are all clicked. Do you have any other suggestions. Or does it not notify for folders and only documents?
Thanks a bunch.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Why am I not getting notifications for changes made in a shared folder?

Dropboxer

That’s correct, though, if you have the Dropbox desktop application installed and syncing, then you’ll get an on-screen prompt stating that new files were added to your account, so at least there is a method there to see if new files were added.

Regarding the suggestion, you could create a new idea on this forum for others to vote on the idea which can then be evaluated by the dev team! 

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Dropboxer

Hi @Sdok33 , thanks for joining the Community!

Could you clarify if you were referring to new shared folders being created, or to subfolders in the folder.

Also, were these email or desktop app notifications?

Keep me posted!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Helpful | Level 5
Hi Jay,
These are new folders under an already shared folder. In the past email notifications were received but no longer. The Spam folder has been checked.
Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Dropboxer

You wouldn’t get email notifications for new files or folders in shared folders, unless you’re referring to the weekly digest.

Could you forward an example of one of these emails you’re referring to, while hiding any personal info? Thanks!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Helpful | Level 5

Hi Jay, Unfortunately I cannot provide that information because I am the Sharee and NOT the Sharer (the person who created the shares and received the notifications. Can you please tell me how Weekly Notifications work, is that an email and how can you set that up? Thanks a bunch. 

Helpful | Level 5

6F462A4E-7DF9-4DE0-AF39-559A1C09F6A8.jpg

Dropboxer

It sounds like this is referring to comments on files in your account.

These are emailed to you, but these aren’t the same as when new files are added to your account.

Hope this helps to clarify matters!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Helpful | Level 5
Hi Jay, I agree and at this point I’d just like to sum things up and receive your confirmation or explanation.
In a Shared folder, if you create a new folder or upload a new document the only way to discover that is by either going into the Dropbox app or Dropbox in a web browser, correct?
Perhaps a great new function sending an email notification, as I don’t know many people who check their Dropbox regularly. Thanks for your input, I truly appreciate it! :smiling face with smiling eyes::thumbs up:

Dropboxer

That’s correct, though, if you have the Dropbox desktop application installed and syncing, then you’ll get an on-screen prompt stating that new files were added to your account, so at least there is a method there to see if new files were added.

Regarding the suggestion, you could create a new idea on this forum for others to vote on the idea which can then be evaluated by the dev team! 

Jay
dropbox.com/support

View solution in original post

Collaborator | Level 9

came across this thread if you are not satisifed with the way Drobbox handles notifications, I have a feature request that needs upvotes. Please take a look and if you agree, give it a vote and spread the word.

https:confused face:/www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-Paper-ideas/More-robust-and-expedient-notifications-options-eg...

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?