cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows File Explorer refreshes the folder 3 times

Windows File Explorer refreshes the folder 3 times

AntennaMan
Helpful | Level 5

Windows File Explorer refreshes the folder 3 times after a change has been made. It actually refreshes the surrounding folders many more times but it only effects the current folder 3 times.

This means if I want to continue editing names, I have to wait until Dropbox has finished updating otherwise the entire file name may be highlighted and subsequently delete as I type.

I am not a touch typist so I am not always looking at the screen. So I can potentially (and have) renamed the entire file name with whatever I typed after the last refresh.

Of course, I can wait until its finished refreshing, but when I have a bunch of files to rename, this is painstaking. Only work around I can think of is to disable DP whilst bulk renaming.

Why is this? Google Drive doesn't seem to have this problem.

3 Replies 3

Re: Windows File Explorer refreshes the folder 3 times

Walter
Dropboxer
Hey @AntennaMan, thanks for posting on our Community and sorry to hear you're having issues with this. 

It seems that you've bumped into the behavior outlined in this discussion.

Can you take a look and confirm if that's the case indeed and clarify if you've attempted any troubleshooting so far?

Thanks so much!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

AntennaMan
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Walter. I read the first and last pages of that thread. It appears to be the exact same issue as I am experiencing. As I mentioned, if I pause Dropbox, I can rename all day. I concur with some comments that it's not specific to Dropbox though. If a downloading file completes in a folder where, and whilst I am renaming a file, the same thing occurs. 

Rich
Super User II

@AntennaMan wrote:

If a downloading file completes in a folder where, and whilst I am renaming a file, the same thing occurs. 

And this is exactly why this isn't a Dropbox issue, or even an issue at all, really. If you're working in a folder while another process, any process, updates something in the folder, Windows is going to update the view.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?