cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dropbox.device getting installed on my USB

dropbox.device getting installed on my USB

epatton
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

How can I stop dropbox from creating a dropbox.device on USBs when I plug them into my PC? Dropbox is also creating a popup each time to plug in a USB. It didn't do this before, and I hadn't recently installed dropbox. Very annoying. 

14 Replies 14

tom_stein
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@Rich : Dropbox say that you have to disable it - but you can't. And no, my autoplay settings are "show in explorer", so Dropbox should not be involved. But they still create that file (of course, Dropbox is running, so they don't need to get involved by autoplay). So official Dropbox help is really bad.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@tom_stein wrote:

Dropbox say that you have to disable it - but you can't.

Yes, you can. You disable Camera Uploads by changing the autoplay settings so Dropbox doesn't import your photos. If Dropbox isn't listed in your autoplay settings, then Camera Uploads is disabled.

I also stated above that there are more features using/creating this file, so the solution originally posted in this thread in 2016, which was to disable Camera Uploads, no longer applies.

Gigabyte
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Rich wrote:

There's an option in Preferences to hide all notifications when external drives are plugged in. Try enabling that, along with disabling Camera Uploads, and see if it stops the file from being added to devices.

No it's not help for me. File dropbox.device created again and again 😞

kalapanga
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

My guess is that Dropbox remembered something at the time it was selected in the autorun settings. Now the autorun settings are set to "do nothing", but Dropbox continues to use that memorized disc information. Something needs to be cleaned up, but what?

The annoying file keeps popping up.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Rich wrote:

... the solution originally posted in this thread in 2016, which was to disable Camera Uploads, no longer applies.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    kalapanga Helpful | Level 5
    Gigabyte Helpful | Level 6
    tom_stein Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?