cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

empty folders

Explorer | Level 3

Hi.  I'm on a Macbook Pro.  I access Dropbox thru Finder.  All my folders are blue.  No problem.  I see, though, a few new items have appeared.  They are TextEdit's.  I have no idea how they arrived or what they are.  The icons are blank outlines and next to them it says "Icon?"  I tried dragging them to the trash can, but they reappear immediately.  So I went to Dropbox.com but don't see them anywhere. Three appeared dated "Mar 13 2020" and the others appeared "Aug 14 2020."   All TextEdit.

How to get rid of these ghost items?

TIA

Robert

9 Replies 9

Re: empty folders

Dropboxer

Hi @Robert D.33; thanks for posting on our Community and sorry to hear about those reappearing files.

Often, when you delete files or folders, they don’t immediately disappear from every synced computer. If you have a synced computer running an application that is using the file, that will cause the file to reappear in your Dropbox account. Or, if you’re seeing a shared file or folder reappear after deletion, it may be that a person you shared it with is accessing it.

To check and see if another computer or person is accessing a file, you can look at the previous versions of the file(s) and see that it was accessed from an application on another computer, you can delete it off of that computer to stop it from reappearing in your Dropbox.

Keep in mind that you can’t view previous versions of a folder, so if you’re seeing a folder reappear, check the files inside the folder. If the folder is empty completely, you may need to restore a file inside the folder to do this. 

I hope this helps and please keep me posted, Robert. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

hi and thanks for the help.  

these are not deleted files or folders.  nobody else is accessing them.

the folders are empty.  they are all TextEdit items. Nobody is using TextEdit.  We are only using Word and Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, and dragging photos off iPhones to other folders.  

I don't see them anywhere in Dropbox.com

Any ideas?

Robert

Dropboxer

Could it be that you connected this app to your account at some point in the past, Robert? 

Can you check your connected apps tab to see if you can find anything there? 

While we're at it, are those deletions and additions showing up in your account's events page

Keep me posted on your findings! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

hi.  no, the only app that is added is Adobe Acrobat.  and no, these Text Edit phantom files/folders don't show up in "events" on the day they seem to have been "added."  

robert

Dropboxer

Hi @Robert D.33, did you have any custom folder icons for any of the folders there? 

The fact that these files are associated with TextEdit don't mean anything, as it's just a default app to open unknown files. 

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3

hi jay.  nothing different.  i click on finder on the dock, click on dropbox on the sidebar under favorites, and then add a new folder and give it a name.  i add an adobe acrobat invoice, a word doc, and drag some photos into the folder from whatsapp.  the phantom icons are just from the two days, and are blank and empty.  i tried to open text exit when dropbox was open so i could delete them.  not an option.  nor could i just drag them to the trash.  odd. 

robert

Explorer | Level 3

hi again jay.  i just noticed something.  at the very bottom of the files list on dropbox (in finder on my macbook pro)  there is a blue-ish folder created on mar 13, 2020, called ".dropbox.cache"  under it there is a grey file called "dropbox" and it's a textedit file.  this grey file is the same type as the others but they are called "icon?"

odder is one of the phantom icons is dated August 14, 2000,  but it is in a folder that has not been open since 2018.  it's photos from a bike race.

the 2018 folder is just photos i took with my phone.  no other files are in the folder. 

robert

Dropboxer

Hey Robert; thanks for the additional details here.

I'm still unsure about what's causing this so I'd like you to try a couple of things for us and let us know if they improved matters at all. 

First is to unlink your account through the app's preferences and re-link it.

If that didn't help though, you may need to perform a clean, advanced re-install at this point. 

Let us know of any updates! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3

hi and thanks for the suggestions.  ok, here's the deal.  computers are not my thing.  if something goes wrong, my business files etc are totally exposed.  there's nobody to call, no screensharing, nothing.  we are three users on the same account.  this means i can't even access the files from my phone due to the limits on number of users.  i'm going to do nothing for now.  i can live with these phantom icons. i have dropbox set up exactly as i want it.  it syncs, it's easy to access, it prints.  done.   the risk/reward is too high for me to even consider unlinking and reinstalling.  to the more experienced users, this is probably a no-brainer.  for me, not.

robert

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?