cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: schedule an automatic upload

schedule an automatic upload

drloriephd
New member | Level 2

Sorry. I am very new at Dropbox.

How do I schedule an automatic upload for late at night? Oh, and how do I turn off the automatic upload that happens when I open Dropbox. 

It is a pain because it’s uploading files when I am trying to work during the day. At night, it would be great to have it do its thing while I am asleep!

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

5 Replies 5

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey there @drloriephd,

Currently there isn't a function within Dropbox to set up syncing at certain times. However, when the app starts up you can pause syncing and then simply unpause when you're finished working to allow syncing.

I hope that this info helps - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Buffy1
New member | Level 2

I also have this question, or perhaps it's related. Up until the latest Dropbox upgrade that recently happened, I was able through Automator on my Mac to schedule Dropbox to open at 2AM and close at  8AM. Now it opens but it does not close, even though the proceess to close it runs at 8AM. I need to do this because I'm on limited bandwidth, and I have bonus bandwidth available between 2 and 8AM. If I leave Dropbox open it drains my bandwidth. I simply do not need it constantly syncing. It was working fine until the latest upgrade. Now I notice there is no Dropbox badge at the bottom of my screen when it opens, only on my menu bar. But when the process runs it won't close and it continues to run as evidenced on the menu bar.

I cannot manually close Dropbox every morning before 8. If I can't figure this out, I will have to remove Dropbox from my computer.

Thanks,

Buffy

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @Buffy1,

That opportunity is OS dependent (currently). On Linux, You can control start and stop, using dropbox control script. :wink:

Hope this cast some light.

Buffy1
New member | Level 2

Thank you for your response, but this does not help me at all, as I have no interest in switching to Linux. My question is around why suddenly when I run a script to close Dropbox (the open script works just fine) it does not close and remains open on the menu bar.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks...

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey @Buffy1,

While I wouldn't be able to recommend any scripts myself, perhaps you could share with us what you're currently using to open and close the desktop app? Other users here on the Community may be able to help shed some light on this for you as this would be OS dependent as @Здравко already mentioned.

Let us know - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Need more support?