cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: All my desktop links are gone

HnLA
Explorer | Level 3

I tried again, even tho I unchecked everything it says 46 minutes left for back up. WHY?

Why if I uncheck Desktop, every time I resume backup do the icons get a green check. Why when I delete a file in DP folder does it also delete in the real folder? WHY? Why is it backup up 3.5GB? WHY?

HnLA_0-1613159533502.pngHnLA_1-1613159551984.png

HnLA
Explorer | Level 3

Why am I getting this message. I have unchecked things, I am not trying to add files. I am trying to get rid of files

@Daphne @Lusil @Walter 

HnLA_0-1613160452813.png

HnLA
Explorer | Level 3

@Daphne @Lusil @Walter Please see the last 4 posts. I decided to let it synch and see where it goes. It is over the limit so stuck in a limbo.

HnLA_0-1613163109652.png

The blue thing keeps going around and around.

When I put mouse over icon I get this.

HnLA_1-1613163163088.png

But if I delete a file in C:\Users\junk4\Dropbox\My PC (W20)\Desktop it deletes it in the real Desktop. So not sure what to do. When I stop the synch the green checks disappear. 

PLEASE HELP ME. I WANT TO DELETE THE MY CP(W20). I CANNOT DO THAT WITHOUT DELETING THE ACTUAL FILES.

PLEASE HELP.

Can I delete files on my phone? Will that delete them on my computer. If not how do I get the MyPC off my computer and DB. Thank you 

HnLA
Explorer | Level 3

@Jay @Jane  any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

HnLA
Explorer | Level 3

@Daphne@Lusil @Walter @Jay @Jane 

I really need help with this. PLEASE HELP ME. I need to get this fixed and move on with my life. I keep getting messages from DB, but I am unable to fix them. I cannot change the Desktop, as I get an error message, see old messages here about that.

I cannot figure out a way to release my desktop from DB. PLEASE HELP.

Daphne
Dropboxer
Apologies for the delay in getting back to you here @HnLA!

Let's try to see if we can get the app to finish syncing here as it might be that it can't complete the process while this is syncing.

Instead of deleting the file, can you try moving the file from the backup Desktop folder in Dropbox, to another location on your computer?

The aim with this is to try and free up the space in Dropbox to allow the sync to complete, without deleting the files from your computer.

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

HnLA
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks @Daphne  I have tried so many things, and I keep digging a deeper hole.

@Lusil @Walter @Jane @Jay 

Currently my desktop has gray - on the icons. I just downloaded a file and it showed up in both User/junk4hDesktop AND C:\Users\junk4\Dropbox\My PC (W20)\Desktop When I deleted it from Dropbox/My PC it also deleted it from the real desktop.

So I need to delete My PC from my computer without losing everything.

Also, when I go on the app on my phone, it now says My PC does not exist, it was under recent when I opened it just now, but now is gone. Same when I open DB on Firefox on my computer My PC is gone and I am using .3% of 2.2GB used per my phone app.

It seems if I delete the file on my computer I will lose all my desktop files.

I am thinking if I delete the app on my computer,like I did before, that might help. But I think not.

I have had to rearrange my icons 9 times, which is frustrating. I just want to release my computer from DB. How can I do that?

HnLA
Explorer | Level 3

@Daphnealso, yesterday, I already did what you suggested and took out the big desktop files so that it would synch. But I still cannot release Desktop from DB

HnLA_0-1613491222177.png

I need to get rid of this My PC folder on my computer without deleting the real desktop files.

HnLA
Explorer | Level 3

@DaphneI just tried moving the My PC to a thumb drive. It looked good but when I clicked on junk4/desktop I got this message

HnLA_0-1613491625911.png

Clicking on a file on my desktop I get Directory is no Good.

This is why I keep asking how I can get DB to let go of my desktop. It just wont do it. Please help me.

And now My PC is back in DB under my files and all the icons have green checks. So back to where I was AGAIN. I cannot remember how I got it to unsynch,  I keep going arond and around and around.

@Lusil @jane @jay @Walter It is really frustrating that with all my posts and all the time I have wasted. I cannot get a person from support to contact me in a real way, (the emails from so-called support are not able to deal with real and unusual problems). If someone called me, I would think they would be able to fix this quickly. Meanwhile, I have been dealing with this for almost 2 weeks.

HnLA
Explorer | Level 3

I keep thinking that this will fix things, but it does not. It seems to stop the backup, but not undo the synching.

I REALLY NEED HELP, ANYONE? @Daphne @Lusil @Jane @Jay @Walter 

HnLA_0-1613504213877.png

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Need more support?