cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Background activity iOS from the mobile app.

Background activity iOS from the mobile app.

AndyVRD
Helpful | Level 5

Hi,

Just notice that Dropbox keeps active in the background on iOS, even if i disable it in the settings from iOS. After some testing I found the problem, the integration with the files app causes this problem. If I disable Dropbox within the files app there is no longer background activity from Dropbox. Hope this can be fixed soon because it drains my battery.

109 Replies 109

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for your updates here peeps!

Would you mind @Lee S.9 sending me a screenshot of the difference in battery consumption you're seeing between Dropbox and the other apps that are locations within the Files app too?

There should be some background activity but for it to be so greatly increased wouldn't really be expected.

Can you also send me a screenshot @ChrisGaff of the background activity shown in your device settings and the battery consumption shown?

Cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

ChrisGaff
Helpful | Level 6

IMG_2804.PNG

Here's a screenshot from my iPhone when I woke up this morning. I'm having a similar experience with my iPad Pro. 

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi @ChrisGaff; sorry to jump in here.

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with what you noticed, but could you check if this is happening with the latest stable version of iOS and iPadOs and not the beta one? 

While at it, have you tried re-installing the app at all since you first saw this?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

ChrisGaff
Helpful | Level 6

Hi @Walter this issue was happening on the latest stable version of iOS and iPadOS before I updated to the iOS / iPadOS 14 beta. This issue has been happening for a while now. I did try reinstalling the app both before and after installing the beta and the issue continued. I currently have Dropbox disabled in the Files app on my iPad Pro and I'm no longer seeing the battery issue, so it's definitely an issue with the Files app integration. Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help. Would love to get this issue resolved for myself and the many others also experiencing it. Thank you!

mrsneeu
New member | Level 2
I would just like to add that I am also experiencing this issue (and have been for a few weeks) on the latest stable release of iOS 13.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for your updates here peeps!

It would be expected to see the Dropbox app showing background activity if it's enabled in the Files app as a location. There's a little more detail on this in my previous post here.

However @ChrisGaff and @mrsneeu, can you let me know if it's showing a large increase in battery consumption by:

1. Opening the Settings app.
  2. Going to "Battery".
  3. At the top of the apps list, tap the option "Show Battery Usage".

Can you send me a screenshot of the % that the Dropbox app is showing there?

Cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

lestmak
New member | Level 2

I have exactly the same problem. And not only is it draining my battery, but I notice my iPad is sluggish. I have no choice but to delete the app off my iPad.

Seems like Dropbox is the only app that keeps running in the background consistently for me accounting for 12m of battery every hour when in idle... No other of my 100+ apps on my iPad do that.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for joining us here @lestmak!

If you haven't already checked the previous posts, you can have a look here for some more info on why Dropbox appears as using background activity.

If you disable Dropbox as a location within the Files app, you should no longer see background activity for the Dropbox app on your device.

However, since you mentioned it's using a lot of battery on your device for this, can you please send me a screenshot of this by following the steps I mentioned above?

Keep me posted!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

vim
New member | Level 2
In the last 2 days Dropbox has increased to 23hr57mins of background usage on iOS 13.5.1. Before that it was around 7 hours background usage daily, which was still pretty huge. Meanwhile Google Drive which is also integrated into Files isn’t even showing up on battery usage on days I haven’t used it.

Gedge
Helpful | Level 5

I'm now also seeing this issue on my iPad Pro running the latest released version of iPadOS. This started on the 2nd July when the App was updated to 196.2.

My overall background usage has gone from a few 10s of minutes to 5 or 6 hours and it's all Dropbox!

Richard

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    Jaeyeok New member | Level 2
    kim_take Explorer | Level 3
    Ccurrie New member | Level 2
    TheMG Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?