cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox slows Ubuntu 20.04 to a crawl and always reinstalls

Dropbox slows Ubuntu 20.04 to a crawl and always reinstalls

Mrwolfe
Explorer | Level 3

So, over the past 6 months or so I've been trying to find out why my Ubuntu 20.04 installation takes so long to boot.  I upgraded from 18.10 (a mistake in my view), which was booting nicely before the upgrade. 

Systems-analyze shows the system booting in about 48 seconds (slow for ubuntu), but that is only the time it takes to get the GUI up. It takes nearly 2 minutes after that before Firefox will open a web page.

Dropbox, in the meantime, opens a requestor saying that it must install the proprietary application (yep, at EVERY boot), downloads it and installs. It's only after Dropbox has done its thing that the rest of the system starts to behave normally.

Today I decided to uninstall Dropbox. Suddenly, the 2 minute delay is gone. Firefox takes about 5 seconds to start up, and I'm browsing web pages. Boot time to the GUI is also noticeably faster.

This seems to be an ongoing issue. I'm a basic user, but this annoyance is making it unlikely that I'll upgrade.

8 Replies 8

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @Mrwolfe, thanks for your post and welcome aboard!

Our desktop application does need to do a quick reindex when it starts, but is it possible that there are other services or applications that also begin to run along with Dropbox, when your computer initially starts?

Let me know what you find!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Mrwolfe
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Hannah.

I'm pretty sure it's the Dropbox installer. Everything grinds to a halt until after it is finished installing. Problem is that it wants to download and install on every single boot.

Walter
Dropboxer

Sorry to jump in here, but have you attempted an advanced reinstall too @Mrwolfe?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Mrwolfe
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter.

Yes, I already had, but I thought I'd do it again. Same result. Increased boot time, user interface is frozen until Dropbox has finished downloading and installing the proprietary module. It downloads and installs at every cold boot (i.e power cycle).

After I uninstalled the dropbox daemon this time, Firefox was still borked. Re-installing Firefox (sudo apt install --reinstall firefox) fixed that.

Walter
Dropboxer
I'm sorry for the late reply @Mrwolfe. Are you still having issues with this?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @Walter,

Why are you kidding @Mrwolfe? Does your development team fix this so old bug? 🧐 Or you forgot it? There are so many other threads discussing the same!

The questions are rhetorical, of course. Just say the truth! 🤷

Mrwolfe
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter.

Yes and no. I've solved the problem of reinstalling at every boot by uninstalling Dropbox.

I can still access it via the web interface, but the local folder no longer remains in sync automatically. Not a good solution, but it seems to be the only one available.

Walter
Dropboxer
Thanks for the feedback on this @Mrwolfe.

If you'd like to look further into this matter, you can always contact our Support team for a more device-specific troubleshooting that is. 

Cheers!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?