cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I get an error message that Windows System Restore failed?

I get an error message that Windows System Restore failed?

Richard P.44
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Hi

When I run Windows System Restore it fails with this error message

System Restore failed to replace the file (D:\Users\*******\Dropbox\.dropbox.cache\qebcobkqbgbzfynfuwbof\placeholder.bat) with its original copy from the restore point. An unspecified error occurred during restore. (0x80070780)

I have completed system recovery from an image without problem but on several occasions I have come up against this error when trying to correct a problem using system restore which would be easier to use if I could. I still have the problem if I run the system restore in safe mode with the same failour message

Any suggestions on allowing the restore to work

Richard

142 Replies 142

kydimos
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

You can also fix the problem by migrating all company data Sharepoint or Google Drive.

This is how my company have chosen to fix the issue

In a few days from now it is by by Dropbox

😄

JacobRusso
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Not sure why Walter's suggestion was accepted as a solution.  He did point us in the right direction.  But here are more specific instructions on how to edit the Windows Registry.   I posted this solution on Page 10, 01-18-2021 08:36 AM.   This seems to work well.

1. Start "Regedit"

2. Navigate to 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackup
3. Add a Multi-string Value with the Dropbox directory

a. Right-Click in the window on right-side

b. Select New

c.  Select Multi-string value
4. Give the value a descriptive name, like "Dropbox"
5. Double-click the value to open the value editor 

6.  Enter the following string:   %UserProfile%\Dropbox\*.* /s

(NOTE: This means to ignore all files inside the "C:\Users\{yourusername}\Dropbox" directory and Subdirectories.)

7. Press ENTER

8. Click OK to close.

9. Now, navigate to: 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToSnapshot

10. REPEAT the above steps 3 thru 8 for this key.

11. Close Regedit

Then, to test if it works, 

1.  Create a System Restore Point

2.  Try to System Restore to the point you just created.

Good Luck & Best regards,

Jacob

Richard P.44
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution
Megan sorry this isn't a working solution. I've found that the restore still fails once a few days have past after making the registry change

Skulcar
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Have you tried on Windows 11 already?

JacobRusso
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

I have not messed with Windows 11 yet, at all.  I'm waiting for my software development toolkit providers to certify on Win 11.  Some lag a bit behind. 

HarrisonS
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Hi is there a solution to this problem my computer will not open windows and I don’t know what to do please help?

HarrisonS
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I cant even get into my windows to do these steps... Dropbox has killed my $10k pc WTF

Kris V.1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

It's April 2023!!

I just found out about this bug/issue, so I'm not able to recover my Windows 11 state from a Restore Point.

This is very sad news!!

How is it possible that this is still an issue since 2019!?!.... 🤯

Dropbox should have released an update that forces the regkey change to exclude the folder automatically by default!

Maybe add a toggle button for people who still wish to take their chance by not excluding it?  And some info next to the toggle button explaining the possible risks/issues with creating Restore Points.

codeveroby
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Lol, this is still an issue. Unbelievable.
Boycott DropBox forever.

Eyal M.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

i have the same problem now.. cant make my windows system restore, i need help as windows update destroyed my computer and now i cant get back because of dropbox!!!!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

codeveroby Explorer | Level 4
    Anthony_Pacheco Explorer | Level 4
    PhylumUp Explorer | Level 3
    greg0422 Helpful | Level 6
    radical_exponent Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?