cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to copy a desktop session?

Is it possible to copy a desktop session?

rafiv
Explorer | Level 4

Hello everybody!

I hope this is the right board. Recently I left my notebook unlocked for a short period of time (I know, this is ridiculously stupid).

The period was long enough to make it possible to copy certain folders. I'm using Ubuntu so the folders which were possibly stolen are ".dropbox-dist", ".dropbox", "Dropbox". Now I'm wondering if it is possible to copy a session, e. g. the attacker copied these folders and dropped it on his/her own computer to use the same session as I do. I would never recognize it since the session listed in my account would be mine.

Thanks in advance. I closed the session in my account but it would be comfortable to know what could have happened before I closed the session.

Greetings

Rafi

9 Replies 9

Re: Is it possible to copy a desktop session?

Elixir
Super User

Hey Rafi, That scenario is extremely unlikely in my imagination. Moreover, you can visit https://www.dropbox.com/account/security There, along with the web browser access histroy near the bottom of the page in the Devices part, you can find which devices have access to your account. It can tell you the IP address, approximate location, when it last accessed, which OS it is running etc. I think from there it is easy to tell if an unauthorized device has access to your account. 

2018-06-23 at 10.17 PM.png

rafiv
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Elixir!

Thank you for your answer.

I know that it is highly unlikely. I checked the settings you mentioned before. There was nothing suspicious but I assume that there wouldn't be anything suspicious because if a session is copied there wouldn't show up a new session in my account I guess ...

Therefore I was wondering whether the implementation makes it possible to copy a session.

I know, it sounds a bit paranoid but as an it student you get kinda paranoid about leaving your notebook unlocked ...

Thanks,

Rafi

Mark
Super User II
I'm 99.9999% sure that it wouldnt work.

For example Dropbox itself wouldnt even work if you moved the whole directory and its hidden files to another computer with Dropbox installed, it would still require a log on etc. to get the secure tokens on that device.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Elixir
Super User

Hi Rafi, 

As Mark also said it is absolutely unlikely, but for your peace of mind, you may do the follwing :slight_smile: :

• Unlink your device from the settings https://www.dropbox.com/account/security Click the × next to your device name. You will be signed out from the Desktop app. 
  • Reset your Dropbox account password. 
  • Then you will need to enter your new password in order to re-link your device. 

rafiv
Explorer | Level 4

[...] to get the secure tokens on that device [...]

Couldn't they just also be copied? Or do they lose validity in that case?

Thank you in advance! 🙂

@Elixir

Thank you, I already did that anyway! 😉

Mark
Super User II
No they dont copy or work if they do. I dont know how they work (we dont work for Dropbox), but, I imagine its linked in some way shape or form to the hardware of the machine.

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

rafiv
Explorer | Level 4

I hope they are linked to e. g. the hardware.

Thank you, hopyfully a developer says something to this case though.

I tried to purge my instance and then reinstall it with the old files. On my main user account I hadn't to retype my password, on another account (same machine, different username), I had to. Probably they are somehow just linked to the user and computer name idk.

Greetings

Rafi

Mark
Super User II
A developer wont I'm afraid - they dont use the forum really. The Dropbox staff that do are mainly customer service type assistants so wouldnt really know either.

However, what was said at the beginning is that if it isnt on the Account Security page your account HAS NOT been accessed. All sessions and log ins there are recorded - even ones with identical set ups (e.g. cloned machine, Dropbox reinstalled etc.).

The biggest risk is that somebody took the data off your machine on a USB pen rather than the hidden Dropbox files.

rafiv
Explorer | Level 4
Thank you very much for your time! I tried to replicate the case, for me it was not possible to copy my own session, however I'm not that much of a hacker genius ... 😛
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

rafiv Explorer | Level 4
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?