cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Ross uses Dropbox to answer some new house questions here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS Word Freezes when Dialog Box points to Dropbox

MS Word Freezes when Dialog Box points to Dropbox

Jeff B.26
New member | Level 1

Anytime I am using Microsoft Word for Mac 2011 and try to open a file stored on Dropbox using the File>Open command, Word freezes. My cursor switches back and forth between a spinning beach ball and an arrow. I am running Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 14.4.7 Update and Yosemite 10.10.2 on a MacBook Air 13-inch, Mid 2012. I am using Dropbox v3.2.3.

My workaround is to open a file from the Finder, but I shouldn't need to do this. Is anyone else experiencing this?

22 Replies 22

Re: MS Word Freezes when Dialog Box points to Dropbox

Etienne B.1
New member | Level 1

I'm also experiencing exactly this problem and being forced to use the same solution - very frustrating. (Yosemite + Word 2011 + MacBook Air 13" mid-2013 )

Marissa G.1
New member | Level 1

I am having the same exact problem.

Jeff B.26
New member | Level 1

It appears the issue was solved by the MS Office 14.4.8 update and/or the Dropbox 3.2.6 update.

Michael T.63
New member | Level 1

I'm having the same problem. Unfortunately with all latest versions: Office 14.4.8 and Dropbox 3.2.6.
Any other ideas?

Ryan T.6
New member | Level 1

Hey, IT guy here, I have a user with a MacBook Air 13" mid-2013 who has this problem. Reinstalling Office and upgrading to the beta version of Dropbox did not fix it. Office 14.4.8 and Dropbox 3.2.6 or 3.3.32

When the issue happens, along with the Word taking up about 75% of CPU, the mds and mds_stores processes also take up some CPU power.

This most common places this happens is trying to Open a File or Inserting an Image. When you go to a Dropbox directory, whether its your favorite or in your home directory it freezes up.

Supposedly this doesn't happen on another computer, but haven't seen the setup on that one yet.

Jeff B.26
New member | Level 1

Does Dropbox not monitor these forums? This has been posted for three weeks, and it's evidently not the first post on this very subject, yet there is nothing but crickets from Dropbox.

While it may be purely coincidental, this problem began shortly after I "upgraded" to a paid version of Dropbox. As a paying customer, I'd at least like to see some kind of official response from the company.

Ryan T.6
New member | Level 1

I've seen some posts by Dropbox people in other posts, 1 regarding the same issue. I suppose they check but not that often.

When I left the computer that had the issue it wound up re-syncing dropbox (not redownloading) and going to the Dropbox folder worked intermittently. I also tried the Beta version and that failed. User had a 90gb big dropbox.

David C.147
New member | Level 1

I'm having this problem as well. I am using Yosemite 10.10.2, Word 14.4.8, and Dropbox 3.2.6. When I create a new document or open a template, and try to insert a Picture from File, the dialogue freezes when I try to open the image from the Dropbox directory. If I manage to open the image from a director on the harddrive, such as Pictures or Documents, there does not appear to be any problem.

David C.147
New member | Level 1

Update - I just updated Dropbox from v3.2.6 to v3.2.9. No fix. Same problem.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Silvia T. Explorer | Level 3
    Randy B.2 New member | Level 1
    Larry B.6 New member | Level 1
    Fred V.5 New member | Level 1
    Michael E.8 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?