cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Not enough hard drive space. Choose online only

Not enough hard drive space. Choose online only

Jeff P.2
Helpful | Level 5

I'm setting up a new computer and Dropbox must be referring to the C, vs. D drive for Local set up.  I already have a Dropbox folder labeled D that I transferred from my old machine.  Dropbox indicates "Not enough hard drive space. Choose online only."  The D drive is 3 TB so space is not an issue.  How do I direct the new install of Dropbox to the D drive?

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II

@Jeff P.2 wrote:

How do I direct the new install of Dropbox to the D drive?

During the install and after you sign in, you should see an Advanced Options link that will let you chose a different location for the Dropbox folder. Make sure you chose an internal, non-networked, non-removable drive. Network and external drives are not supported and can cause data loss.

Jeff P.2
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks for the response.  I'm not given any options or advanced options link.  After I sign in my only choices for where I want my files stored is online, or local.  When I select local it automatically sets up a folder on my C drive and says there isn't enough room, which is correct.  There is no option to move it to D, my 3TB drive. 

I did go ahead and let Dropbox start and used the Sync options.  However, when I try to move the Dropbox folder to D, it says there is already a folder there and won't let me just use the folder where all my files already are.  

Now it wants to set all the files in D:\Dropbox\Dropbox.  What???

This should be really easy.  Why is DB making it so hard?

Any ideas?

Rich
Super User II

@Jeff P.2 wrote:

Now it wants to set all the files in D:\Dropbox\Dropbox.  What???

The question asked is basically "Where do you want the Dropbox folder to be created?" and you answered D:\Dropbox, which results in a Dropbox folder being created in D:\Dropbox, so you end up with D:\Dropbox\Dropbox. Instead, you should be selecting D:\ so the folder ends up as D:\Dropbox.

Jeff P.2
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks.  I figured it out.  You have to start by doing Online only and then you get the Advanced Options screen where you can select the folder.  Appreciate the help.

Need more support?