cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Get summer ready with Dropbox basic - travel documents, plans, progress reminders and more, right over here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Page Turning Devices like Airturn or Donner

Page Turning Devices like Airturn or Donner

Parrotman
Explorer | Level 3

Has anyone had experience with deploying a Bluetooth page turning device, typically a footswitch, with files stored and viewed using Dropbox?  Airturn lists quite a number of apps it does work with, but Dropbox isn’t one hence strong implication it won’t work.  An Amazon question asked of the Donner product Sid it doesn’t work.  My purpose is using Dropbox performing music hence need a better way of scrolling through a song.  Thank you.

5 Replies 5

Re: Page Turning Devices like Airturn or Donner

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi there, what filetypes are you specifically looking to use with those footswitches?

Depending on your mobile device, you can preview the file in another app instead of Dropbox, such as Acrobat for PDF files, which might be compatible with Airturn.

Keep me posted!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!

Parrotman
Explorer | Level 3

Mostly PDF, Jay.  The files are maintained centrally with quite a number of users, which is the compelling reason to stay in Dropbox as the group can tweak the files and with Dropbox all update coordination is totally eliminated, even with files downloaded to local devices should internet be an issue.  Hence this “need” with Dropbox.

Jay
Dropboxer
What devices are you using? iOS or Android?

If you’re able to open the PDF, do you get the option to preview it in Acrobat directly, instead of the Dropbox app? Does Acrobat offer support for your turning device? If not, can you open the file in an app that supports the Airturn?

Currently there isn’t any support for such items in Dropbox, however there could be some sort of service that links with Dropbox to let you use the bluetooth device that way.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Parrotman
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks, Jay.  I’m using iOS.  But I think you are right... found yet another device but it’s more restrictive in that it only works with apps that can accept keyboard strokes.  I like your idea of finding the file then openning in a compliant app.  I will investigate if that can be a quick and simple process - rather than defaulting to handy Dropbox viewer I can easily have that file open in another viewer either by default or very quickly.  Another idea that your suggestion promoted me to think of is using a complaint app but have it access Dropbox as its source.  I’ll investigate apps like Goodreader which nearly all those devices are Ok with and see if it allows “external” directories or requires files to be imported and stored within.  Again, thanks for the help.  I’ll post my findings here so that this thread may be useful to others wanting to do the same.  The issue with a localized app is syncing files among many users.  I know Set List Maker has paid features to allow this now, but Dropbox is so easy and ubiquitous.

Jay
Dropboxer
I forgot that apps getting files from Dropbox would also be a good way to do it, if not better!

While I can’t make any recommendations for potential apps to use Airturn to flip pages, this page on the Airturn site might give some idea for compatible apps.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Which Dropbox Plan do you have?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    Parrotman Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?