cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Our Community can help you set up and make Dropbox work for you. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

The desktop app is stuck at syncing. What can I do?

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Dropbox is stuck in sync. I've tried unlinking, I've reinstalled the application. What's next?

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Sync stuck

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

SOLVED, for me at least: I went to dropbox.com and unlinked every device. Then I relinked my computer (in the blue dialog box that automatically opened upon killing the link to the computer). Things went crazy for about an hour--db popup on the tray reported 120,000+ files syncing. But after a while, the number started dropping fast. 

I then observed that it was stuck with 4 files, so I used Windows Explorer (not I.E.) to look for the folder that had the little blue circle with the minus sign on its lower left. It was a mysql folder that I didn't need to be in DB, so I moved it out and now all is fine.

You can Google "unlink and re-link to dropbox" but here are the steps:

1. on dropbox.com, click on the dropdown arrow to the right of your picture on the top right

2. choose Settings

3. Click on the Security tab

4. Scroll way down to the Devices list

5. Click on the x at the right of every device listed.

Unlinking doesn't remove your files from the site, it justs breaks the link, which you can re-establish immediately using the blue dialogue box that should open up.

(by hitting the x at the right of their names

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I had the same problem on my MAC.....it was syncing 581 files for days.  I used FINDER to see where the sync was stuck (shown by a light blue sync symbol).  I moved that folder to a non-dropbox location and the sync completed within minutes.  I beleive when the path is too long, Dropbox doesnt know how to correct it and it just hangs.  

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I know at least for me the previous post about file paths being too long turned out to be the problem. I have very current model macs and I uploaded gigs of stuff to dropbox like normal. Thats when the sync stall started with me. I had the indexing message for a week. I had to shut off dropbox to do anything cause it was burning through system resources like crazy. I started looking at posts to sort out the problem. I tried everything that has been posted with no success. I read the post above regarding pathway issues and took a look at how deep I had nested files. When I got to 5 folders deep for one file set I realized this might actually be the issue. I moved the folders and files I was trying to put up on dropbox onto an external storage drive. Once they all copied over and I confirmed they were there I deleted them from dropbox. I then shut it off and turned it back on. I had to leave for a rehearsal, but when I came back dropbox was current with a nice neat "up to date" status.

I had an easy time of it as I had not uploaded a large group of files in quite a while so I was able to identify and transfer all the files from the batch. For those who are having this problem I would strongly suggest this as a solution. I say this because I can recall times in the past where I could not update a file in dropbox because I had organized things and moved it too deep in the file structure making the path too long. This is definitely something that I would like to see dropbox address if it is the problem for most people. I use the ability to nest folders almost endlessly on my mac to keep my files and data well organized.

59 Replies 59
Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I have the same problem since tow weeks now, the first time I start windows the sync works perfect, but when some one update a file in another location the synchronization process get stuck, and I cant get in to the task icon properties, I already try turning off Avast. uninstall and reinstall the dropbox application,  HELP 

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

You don't understand. My sync does't work at all, not sometimes. It's frozen...I've unlinked, reinstalled the software. Nothing works, especially Dropbox support, which doesn't exist. What a joke! I've canceled my account. Too many other players.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Seriously.. Been stuck on "downloading file list" for weeks. disassociated the computer, tried the terminal commands on Dropbox website, re-installed, even DELETED ALL THE FILES ON MY DROPBOX AND IN THE DROPBOX FOLDER.. It's all empty.. Nothing.. Still stuck "downloading file list".. reinstalled, unlinked, relinked, etc. again with nothing in my dropbox online, and nothing in my dropbox folder on my mac. WOW. still stuck syncing. Not very cool for a service I'm paying for by the year. Time to look elsewhere.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I have been facing an error on desktop client. it says " cant find a secure internet connection" i have been using dropbox on the same computer from 2 years now paying an annual amount to you. but since last 1 week it has stopped syncing and shows a CROSS X sign on the box icon and says "cant find a secure connection" i tried everything uninstalled the antivirus uninstalled the dropbox app. tried on different computers but everywhere its the same! KINDLY HELP ME OR FIX THE APP ASAP. AWAITING YOUR REPLY!

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Dropbox on my computers because of a problem. After reinstalling, not all my files, some of which were important, were restored.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

my drop box is not connected but it shows my account and profile but when i open drop box it gives the "storing your folder on a network share can also cause an error.

[personal information removed by moderation according to our Community Guidelines]

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

So how do we get answers on this?  Seems like noones questions above are getting answered?  Mine gets stuck for the last month after suspending and coming back, it gets stuck in "Downloading file list".  So I exit, reopen the app from the program list, it syncs and all is good, but this seems to happen now every day.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Mine is syncing but i get this constant flashing of the "Downloading file list".

Attached is a screencast of the syncing issue: https://goo.gl/zqffNs

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Looks like we're leaving Dropbox guys - there are no answers and no help for what I'll bet are really pretty straightforward problems here. Let's go and find better filesharing apps

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?