cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Our Community can help you set up and make Dropbox work for you. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Tried moving Dropbox to another drive but it created only the folders and still show in C drive.

Explorer | Level 3

So I didnt have a big enough drive on my C: drive so a added a 6TB internal drive.  I went udner sysnc and selected the new drive. It then froze while it accessed it I presume.  I never showed the new drive in the "choose where dropbox is located on this pc"  it still shows the orginal C: location.    It did create all the directories on the new drive BUT never moved any files into them.  When I attempt to reassign the drive location AGAIN to the 6TB E Drive, it says "This folder ALREADY contains a dropbox folder".  Ive tried reformating the New drive but once I point to it, it does the same thing over again (twice).  Its been days and no folder has populated!  HELP!

Other info:  1) Selectve sync is not on for any folder.  2) Space saving is off 3) Smart sync cannot be seen as to whether its on or off

8 Replies 8
Highlighted

Re: Tried moving Dropbox to another drive but it created only the folders and still show in C drive.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hello @OPENBOOKGUY, I hope you're well today!

Would you mind letting me know which version of the desktop app is installed on your computer?

Also just to clarify, when reformatting the second drive did you completely remove the Dropbox folder there so it no longer appears there?

Let me know and well take it from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Re: Tried moving Dropbox to another drive but it created only the folders and still show in C drive.

Explorer | Level 3

1) Ver 97.4.467

2) I dont know what you mean did I remove the DB from the new drive? I did a quick format which I presume erased all data.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for that @OPENBOOKGUY, just wanted to double check with you that you hadn't tried moving the folder and had the Dropbox folder recreated again after trying that.

Would you mind just sending me over a screenshot of the error that you're getting when you try and move the Dropbox folder?

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

sync screen2.JPGsync screen3.JPGsync screen4.JPGsync screen5.JPGsync screen1.JPG

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

So I tried it all again even hard booting to release any files that maybe showing open.  I have a hard time beleiving DB woulnt move any files it 1 or 2 were hung up as it indicates.   Ive never seen the Drop box icon on the 6TB new drive anytine suring these reformats.  Im goin crazy here.    WHAT TO DO???

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for those screenshots @OPENBOOKGUY!

If the app hangs when trying to perform this action, it could be due to having a large amount of data syncing to your local Dropbox folder.

From the error that you're getting, do you have any of the files within the Dropbox folder open or your File Explorer open at the time you're trying to perform the move? Could you try closing all files and the File Explorer and see if you can move the folder again?

Daphne

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3
No. No files were open matter of fact I just did a hard Boot and just let the system finish loading and then that was the first thing I did there were no files open whatsoever. This is getting ridiculous man I need to fix this please escalate this to support if you have the wherewithal
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

You can see what Support options are available to you here, depending on your account's plan @OPENBOOKGUY.

Once you've reached out to the team you can let me know the ticket number you receive (eg. #1234567) if you'd like to, and I can pass along your comments from here.

Thanks!

Daphne

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Polls
Have you been keeping up good habits while working from home?
We've created a working from home cheat sheet to help keep up on those habits, check it out here.
Need more support?