cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Get summer ready with Dropbox basic - travel documents, plans, progress reminders and more, right over here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't install Dropbox

can't install Dropbox

mitu
Explorer | Level 3

dropbox wasn't syncing. so i uninstalled and have been trying to reinstall it ever since. it seems installing but stops after a while and shows up in program list. doesn't response when i try to run the program. i uninstalled several times, deleted metadata, did everything i knew possible but nothing helped. I am doing a big project right now and i am totally screwed up if it doesn't work. help needed. thanks in advance! 😞

7 Replies 7

Re: can't install Dropbox

Zed
Dropboxer

Hello @mitu

Can you please download the latest offline installer of the Dropbox app from here and try again? Are you getting any errors? Do you see the Dropbox app icon on your taskbar's system tray?

If you keep experiencing issues, please raise a ticket with our support team so they can investigate more on this.

Once you do, please let us know here with the ticket ID so that we can help.

Thank you!

Zed
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

mitu
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks! 

well I submitted my message to the support page, and it shows an acknowledgement. but i found no ticket ID or something. 

yes, i downloaded this version and tried for several times already.

Jane
Dropboxer

Hey @mitu

Thanks for following-up and the swift reply! 

I can see that my colleague has reached back out to you with some steps to follow. Could you please check your email inbox for their reply and let me know here if you're unable to locate it? 

Hope this gets resolved soon!

Warm regards, 
JaneA

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

mitu
Explorer | Level 3

Hi! thanks for replying! 🙂

yes I already downloaded it and tried to install. surprisingly it seems to be installed (shows in program list) but don't response whenever i try to open it. and it doesn't show up in the system tray either! 😕

I uninstalled the previous versions several times, rebooted and deleted metadata... what else can i do? 😞

Jane
Dropboxer

Hey @mitu

I appreciate the follow-up, hope you're doing well today. 

Just letting you know that I’ve made sure we 've sent over more steps to follow on your open support ticket, please feel free to include any details on the progress of the case there, so that we collect all relevant information there and troubleshoot accordingly. 

Again, thanks a lot for your cooperation, hope this gets resolved soon! 

Warm regards, 
JaneA

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

firstfruitsfarm
Explorer | Level 3

I have had the same problem after receiving an "update or else" warning for my desktop program. I downloaded the installer after failures of the online installer, which resulted in a dead app with a white blocked symbol across the icon. I then tried the standalone installer; it resulted in the following message: “Dropbox.app” is damaged and can’t be opened. You should eject the disk image.  This was an installer named "Dropbox 28.4.14.dmg". It has a size of 103,986,482 bytes. Reviewing the system logs reveals no pertinent error messages.  Real time antivirus scanning was turned OFF.

Model Name:    MacBook Pro
  Model Identifier:    MacBookPro5,2
  Processor Name:    Intel Core 2 Duo
  Processor Speed:    2.66 GHz
  Number of Processors:    1
  Total Number of Cores:    2
  L2 Cache:    6 MB
  Memory:    8 GB
  Bus Speed:    1.07 GHz
  Boot ROM Version:    MBP52.008E.B05

System Version:    OS X 10.11.6 (15G1421)
  Kernel Version:    Darwin 15.6.0

Jane
Dropboxer

Please accept my apologies for getting back to you in delay, I’d be glad to work on that with you! 

It seems that there is an issue with the Dropbox software currently installed on your computer. I’ll just send you the steps for a complete re-install, hence the lengthy reply. 

Please save and quit all programs accessing files in the Dropbox folder, and then follow these instructions:

Note: Please be sure to take note or take a screenshot of any Selective Sync settings you may have applied as well as the location of your Dropbox folder (if not in the default location) prior to re-installing, as you will need to match these settings upon re-install.

#1. Stop Dropbox (If needed):
- Click the Dropbox icon in the menu bar at the top of your screen
- Click on the gear icon in the Notifications panel and select 'Quit Dropbox'

#2. Downloading the latest stable version of the application. 

#3. Open your Terminal app (Located at /Applications/Utilities/Terminal)

#4. Copy and paste the following lines into the Terminal, ONE AT A TIME, and press ENTER after each one. PLEASE make sure you copy and paste these commands (don't type them by hand), as getting them wrong could cause some harm. You'll be prompted for your computer's admin password (not your Dropbox password) after entering the first command. Keep in mind that the password field in the terminal will remain blank as you type your password. After you type it, just press ENTER. You'll know that these instructions complete normally once the initial line of text (called prompt) comes up again:

(NOTE: If your Dropbox account is located on  "/Users/JaneA/Dropbox", then fill in the command line as below)

sudo chown "$USER" "$HOME"
sudo chown -R "$USER" "/Users/JaneA/Dropbox”
sudo chmod -R u+rw "/Users/JaneA/Dropbox”
sudo mv ~/.dropbox ~/.Trash/dropbox.old
sudo chmod -N ~
sudo mv /Library/DropboxHelperTools ~/DropboxHelperTools.old

Please note that once the prompt displays, the instruction completed the requested task and is ready for the next command. If the command returns an error or does not respond after an hour, you may want to try restarting your computer and try these steps again.

#5. Delete the Dropbox application from the Applications folder. You may need to provide your computer password in order to perform this action.

#6. Open the .dmg file from step # 2 and double click the Dropbox icon to install Dropbox.

#7. When Dropbox has finished installing, during the initial setup and sign in process, apply any Selective Sync settings you may have had prior to the reinstall and select the Dropbox folder location (if not in the default location).

IMPORTANT NOTE: Because this process removes the previous settings and configuration, if you wish to avoid re-downloading your Dropbox content, you will need to manually choose the location for Dropbox to sync to, otherwise you will create a new Dropbox folder which will start to download your content again.

To select your already established folder on your drive, after signing in and choosing which folders to sync, and before you click on "Open my Dropbox folder", you should see an "Advanced Settings" link, click on this.

Then you can choose the parent folder of the already established Dropbox folder. For example, if you have your Dropbox folder in the path "/Volumes/DifferentPlace/Dropbox (Team)" you'll want to select the folder "/Volumes/DifferentPlace/".

At the end of this process, after clicking "Open my Dropbox folder", it might take some time to re-index the files and sync any pending changes.

Please let me know how this goes for you! 

Warm regards, 
JaneA

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Which Dropbox Plan do you have?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jane Dropboxer
    firstfruitsfarm Explorer | Level 3
    mitu Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?